1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Difference between molting and destressing?

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by kiva, Feb 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kiva

kiva "Never Molted"

I can't seem to find one of my crabs. I don't know if he's molting or destressing. I've looked everywhere in and out of the tank for him to no avail. There is this sort of small circular opening in the sand at the back of the tat, is that where he is? I did not note any difference in behaviour to indicate he was in pre-molt.
    Never mind, the little buggar just resurfaced. Whew...never been through a molt and I'm not looking forward to it. But my question still stands...how do you tell the difference between molt/destress? And how do you know where they are when they're molting so you can keep an eye on them, so to speak?

2. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

Most times, there is not indication if they are going down to molt or destress. If they come up and have very sharp black toenails and look like they need a shave, then they have molted. Sometimes, you will see molt sacs inside a crab's shell. They are waaaay back in there and look like a little bubble on each side. I've only seen molt sacs on one of my little crabs. You may see them hanging out at the water dish a lot prior to a molt. Sometimes their eyes become cloudy.
    Burying is just part of a hermit crab's nature. Some crabs bury part of the day and surface for part of the day....I've got several like that:p
    These little guys will literally make you crazy!!

3. Yadokari

Yadokari (Small Crab)

There's no way one can keep an eye on the crab if the crab him/herself does not molt underneath the sand and next to the glass. That, or a surface molt. Either way, molts are very important to a crab, but I think many people freak out too much about it. Don't stress over molts, don't try to be overprotective about it either. I think that's one of the most common mistakes people have. "Oh no, she's molting soon! I must do everything I can do ensure a good molt! Lets ISO her! Lets keep checking on it, lets cover her up, blah blah blah."
    I think crabs thrive the most when you just ignore them and do food/water changes daily. I pay zero attention to molts and I haven't had a single loss from molts. I have over 25 crabs :eek: Heck, I don't even know how many are molting right now, or if they even are.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.