1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did I kill them?! HELP!

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by coalminerswife, Oct 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coalminerswife

coalminerswife Hi, I'm New Here!

There was a HORRIBLE odor coming from the crabitat for about 3 days. I hadn't seen the 3 crabs for almost a week. One of them had been under for over a month. I combed the sand and there were no tracks for the last 3 days. I decided today to go ahead and investigate the smell (death smell).

I started digging and found one of my crabs, the one that had been under for a little over a month, and he was moving in his shell. His large claw was almost white with pale pink in the middle. I looked really close to make sure that he was alive and am convinced he is. He was moving and everything. I stuck him back in the sand, but in a different spot because I had already destroyed where he was at. I couldn't fine any exo either, but am assuming that he already ate it because he is so big. The second one was found in a different corner and was moving as well, but didn't look like he had molted or anything. The third one was my culprit. I couldn't see him moving and he was half out of his shell. I pulled him out and there were maggots feeding on his insides.

I tried not to cover the remaining ones with too much sand but didn't want it too thin either. I fixed up the crabitat but now the mulch looking bedding is mixed in with the sand, so it doesn't look as nice. The coco mat that was in the back of the crabitat was covered in mold, so I threw it out (that stuff grows fast!).

Do you think the 2 that I dug up are ok? I am really concerned. I can't believe that I disturbed them, but the one was dead and I had no idea where they were all at. Thanks for any help, I don't want my 2 and 4 year old to get mad at mommy for killing their crabs! Thanks...

2. msdiamonddawg

msdiamonddawg "Third Molt In Progress"

If you unbury a crab, you should not rebury them. What to do in that situation is to put a hut over them and turn the door away from the front of the tank. This is to keep them dark and quiet. If you rebury them, you don't make any air pockets, as they make, and they could end up being too weak to unbury themselves. I would sift the sand off the top of them and cover them with something dark. They should be fine.

3. alli'smommy

alli'smommy "Preparing For Third Molt"

I have done the same thing before and they are always fine. Just do the "hut" thing that diamond mentioned!!

4. coalminerswife

coalminerswife Hi, I'm New Here!

Thanks for the immediate responses. I dug them up and put them under the cocnut hut that I have in there. It was big enough for them both. Thanks again for the help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.