1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did he get eaten??

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by sherman, Jul 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sherman

sherman Hi, I'm New Here!

I discovered my little guy Sherman did a surface molt the other day. I found him in his water dish. He seemed to be pretty active still and moved to his hut with the other two crabs which is their usual hangout. I read that by trying to move them at that point might be dangerous so I left him there. He's vanished now. I'm not sure if the other two ate him or if he's buried. I don't think I have quite the amount of sand in the tank for him to burry himself, maybe two inches... I don't want to dig around either in case he is buried. What should I do? I don't smell anything funny either... should I wait it out?

2. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I would wait if I were you. If he does a surface molt, you should ISO him. Not moving him is good. Maybe you could ISO the other crabs without harming him. Take all the stuff out of your tank and see if he's just hiding or somehting. DOn't take away his old exoskeleton. He will want to eat it. Your sand should be at least twice the hieght of your largest crab and at sand castle consistency.
    Godo Luck.

3. WizKidsMom

WizKidsMom "Preparing For Third Molt"

While there are stories of cannibalism, I have never experienced it. I have had my hermies abandon their shell though I am not sure if they were sick or just gave up their shell to another hermie. I have read that a hermie will fight and give a leg up rather than their shell, but with plenty of empty shells around, I think mine just gave up their shell.

When I see a shell less crab, I gently get him and put him in a container. Then I grab a couple of empty shells, clean them and put them in with the crab. He will then pick a shell and settle in. That usually happens within an hour. Then I put him back in the tank.
    I have a dark brown container that is perfect for this situation and I cover it with a dark towel. Gives him privacy.

Sherman, see if you can find him on the surface and do as above. Put him in your ISO with his exo and leave him be for about a week. Make sure he has fresh plain and salt water.

4. CoolDoggy10

CoolDoggy10 (Large Crab)

Coco what you said about moving the crabs that aren't molting is what I would have done too.

5. Poppy

Poppy "Second Molt, A Success"

I doubt he would have escaped since hes a freshly molted fella, hes probably just hiding in the sand, not in another hermies stomach =/

6. sherman

I can't put him in ISO... he's hiding I guess and I'm afraid to hunt for him and dig up all the sand. I suppose that for his size he would be able to bury himslef completely given the amount of sand in the tank. I did leave his exo out. Will he come up at night to eat and then re-bury himself? I guess I'll keep waiting, I'll let you know what happens. How long should I wait?

7. cococrisp

Maybe a month or so. If I were you I would take all his friends out and ISO them. At least all the ones that are not molting. Offer calcium and protien rich foods even if he's not coming up.

8. Soccer50

Soccer50 Guest

I would wait a little while. If it starts to smell in there .. you'll know what happened.
    Maybe he is just playing hide and go seek :)
    Im sure he will turn up sooner or later.

9. sherman

Well... I found him. He crawled out of the aquarium :eek: I found him this morning on the floor:(. Now after reading more into molting and tank conditions, I'll be making some adjustments so the other two do not go crazy like Sherman did. I thought everything was ok with the tank, the other two seem to be doing fine. I'm also going to have an ISO tank ready on standby when the others start to molt. So as far as the sand... I used play sand in the tank, I read there was some other type of sand that could be used that would not mold. I'm afraid of adding too much water to get the moldy conditions... let me know what you all think?

10. Roach

Roach "Preparing For First Molt"

When your adding water just remember to add a lil bit of water at a time. You can always add water but you cant take it back. I just basicaly made it sand castle consistency by trying to mold it with your hands or push your finger down through it and it should leave the hole in tact.

11. cococrisp

DO you have a lid on your tank? How did he get out? EE is another substrate. It is cocofiber and comes in a block.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.