1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diamonds are tasty!

Discussion in 'The Sand Castle Lounge' started by Matt, Dec 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt

Matt Guest

TOKYO (AP) - The economy is finally picking up, and Tokyoites are in a spending mood this winter. So how better to celebrate Christmas than with a diamond-studded cake worth about $2 million Cdn?

The sparkling pink creation, which went on sale Tuesday at Takashimaya Department Store in central Tokyo, "has already received many inquiries" from prospective customers, said store spokesman Takeshi Morinaka.

A total of 223 diamonds - including a five-carat, heart-shaped stone - adorn the double-layer, marzipan-coated fruitcake, designed by Tokyo-based sweets chef Jeong Hong-yong.

"It's entirely edible, except for the diamonds, of course," Morinaka said.

For those who can't afford the luxury, Takashimaya will be serving up a replica of the cake at a champagne party on Christmas Eve, he added.

The cake is on display at the store until Dec. 25.

The government on Monday said Japan's economy was continuing to recover from a more than a decade of stagnation, supported by private consumption and growing industrial production.

2. vckums

vckums Moderator

I saw a picture of it :eek:

3. and of all cakes, it has to be a fruitcake! ::)

4. Matt

Matt Guest

Exactly, the most gagworthy cake ever constructed by the hands of man!

5. vckums

vckums Moderator

I know. Why not chocolate!!!

6. jasso

jasso Guest

Hey, I have had exactly two fuitcakes that were actually pretty good. Both were handmade by my mom.

7. Matt

Matt Guest

I dont want to THINK about my moms fruitcake! :-X

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.