1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

destined for crabbing

Discussion in 'The Welcome Rock' started by Wyrd Crabba, Sep 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wyrd Crabba

Wyrd Crabba Hi, I'm New Here!

Hello everyone. I've been wanting hermit crabs since I was 5 years old and always was told no by my parents.. now at the age of 20 I've realized... I can just go and buy one myself! My long time friend from grade school has a 17 year old hermit crab. Naturally I went straight to her to pick one out at the beach. Then to her mom who actually cares for their crabs.

I now have two crabs, the longest only for 3 weeks now. Sweet-Heart and Cutie-Pie (Sweety and Cutie). Their accommidations are not what they will be. At the moment their in a tall 14 inch hex tank with only an inch of sand (calci sand.. I know I know.. they need more and not all that kind of sand) with sturdy bamboo rods grown in my town (I have a patch in my back yard if anyone wants any)
    Coconut half with a side broken out just enough to let my little cabbies inside.
    3 sponges
    salt and fresh water dishes
    3 food dishes, one for dried flowers, fruit, krill, etc; one for general food, and one for FMR fruit treats
    They have 5 extra shells to choose from and assorted muscle and oyster shells to munch on through out the tank

This is only a temporary crabitat. I'm working on a living vivarium for them. If anyone has any pointers on how to simulate a beach I'd appreciate it. Here is what I have planned out so far:
    13inches of "ocean/shore" with mangrove trees growing on one side of the "beach" a 5 inch deep ocean with a couple salt water fish for color, maybe some blue leg hermit crabs and snails
    a 10 inch tall platform over the sea (10x12) covered in cocofiber sheeting and with cholla wood hiding the legs.
    a medium size water fall in the land part of the tank which will be half covered with coco bedding and has at least 5 inches of sand to dig down.
    a money palm tree or decoration palm tree next to the water fall for climbing and a food dish. a shell dish. a moss pit up on the side in a corner.
    The back wall covered in cocofiber sheeting and cork bark on the back wall of the "sea". a hide coconut on both first and second levels. Another food dish on the platform and another shell dish on the platform.

please give me feed back.

2. Bumble

Bumble (Micro Crab)

Sounds wonderful! Make sure you post pictures when it's completed.

3. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

im not sure about mixing the salt crabs/fishies with the land crabs unless I am misunderstanding- but it is wonderful that you finally get to have your hermies- we would love to see pics asap. I gotta get my hands on some bamboo- it grows here but I keep forgetting to grab some
    WELCOME to the site

4. NotaMallard

NotaMallard "First Molt, A Success"

Maybe I'm interpreting this wrong, but what if a crab fell into the salt water? Could he get back out?

5. Wyrd Crabba

I was worried about that too... the platform I'm making will be standing in the water and the legs will be covered in cholla wood. Easy for them to climb. The Beach I'm making will be steep but I'll have drift wood set up for easy ocean exit back to land. Also the mangrove trees will be growing on the beach right next to dry land.
    The salt water hermit crabs I saw in the local specialty pet store are tiny... like the shell is smaller than your pinky nail tiny. I don't think 4 of those that never go on land will impact the hermit crabs... and since PPs go into the ocean to breed... tropic fish and an imitation ocean will probably be safe for them... if anyone knows of a concrete no-no about this let me know.
    I'm doing all the research I can to make this environment safe and comfy for all living creatures and plants I'm putting in and reading up on what animals are compatible or not. For example; None of the tropic fish will be carnivorous... or large enough to hurt my crabs.

6. Mommy2Crabs

Mommy2Crabs (Small Crab)

what size tank did you say your vivarium will be?

7. Wyrd Crabba

Length:30" Width:12" Height:18"

I've never filled it with water or used it as an aquarium so I don't know the gallon size. It's a very decent size tank. Setting it up will be a multi month task on student funds but there should be 5 inches of water and 6 inches of dig-able sand. I'm placing a glass divider in the tank like you would sometimes see in pet stores for amphibians and reptiles. That way I don't have to flood the whole bottom of the tank. I can scan and post the drawings and schematics I have drawn up if you want to see them.

8. Mommy2Crabs

Mommy2Crabs (Small Crab)

I would love to see them. This sounds like such an interesting project. If it's successful, something I might want to duplicate.

Mines a 29 gallon tall. Those are my exact measurements.

Student funds? Are you a teacher? That's so cool, keep me posted. :)

9. Mommy2Crabs

Mommy2Crabs (Small Crab)

Oh I see you are a student! Also cool. :)

10. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

anytime you have something in a controlled enviroment you need to be careful- I would not do it-the crabs will be drinking this water right?? Nature replenishes and cleanses itself daily our tank do not.

11. Wyrd Crabba

Interestingly enough... it probably will. I've been reading up on that and Caribsea produces a live sand from the caribbean. Engineered to have all the healthy and beneficial microbials that fend off fungi, infection, mildew and waste build up. Essentially natures clean up system. I'll also have an air stone to air out the water similar to what waves do... and mangrove trees which filter out impurities. in the first couple weeks I'll keep a strong eye out for anything going wrong and have it set up that a filter system can easily be placed in. Blue Iguana's version of EE also works to keep the tank clean naturally.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.