1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Deep Cleans, 11-05-06

Discussion in 'Say Cheese' started by CrabbyChris22, Nov 6, 2006.

1. CrabbyChris22

CrabbyChris22 Hi, I'm New Here!

Well, I'm pooped.  I deep cleaned the upstairs tank and mostly did the downstairs tank.  I didn't do a deep clean on it, but I did take out the substrates and reconstituted them, so to speak, so that I could get the UTH on the tank and turn it on.  I couldn't turn it on with out going through to make sure someone wasn't going to get cooked while maybe in the middle of a molt.  Luckily I didn't find any molters but maybe they had finished eating the exo but just hadn't surfaced yet.

Steph took an unbelievable amount of pictures yesterday of the crabs (we logged them all with descriptions of their coloring and their current shell and names if we knew who they were).  She didn't however take any pics of the actual tanks so I did that today but there's such a large amount of pics that I'm just going to put the links to my photobucket and ya'll can look at them at your leisure.  I know, I'm wussing out but there might be close to a hundred pics (ok, I just went and looked at the exact amount and there are 60 pics) I put on photobucket and I'm not spending all day here posting pics.

Before you look at the pics remember one thing; my fingernails are dirty because of deep cleaning NOT because that's how they look on a daily basis.  We were about half way through pics before I realized what they looked like.  I had sifted, torn everything apart, put in all the new substrates and immediately started putting crabs back in and Steph snapping away and I never realized.  It's disgusting and makes me sick, just don't think they always look like that.  Steph would say I was being paranoid and perhaps I am.

Here are the links.

Downstairs Tank:
    http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c160/cricha22/Crabitat/11-05-06%20Deep%20clean/Downstairs%20Tank/

Upstairs Tank: http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c160/cricha22/Crabitat/11-05-06%20Deep%20clean/Upstairs%20Tank/
    Code:

2. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

EEEW your fingernails are soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo dirty  :troll:

seriously Steph is addicted tp your eyes she always take those "lookin" shots LOL

Looks good Chrispy!  :banana:

3. Crabaddict

Crabaddict Guest

Congrats on the deep clean! Beautiful crabs and set ups! Is that Fat B@stard in your upstairs tank? If yes, you were right he does look like my rescue crab Angel!  :teddy01:

4. Joey Oh

Joey Oh Guest

Everything LOOKS GREAT!  You did an awesome job!

Those are some beautiful crabbies you have!

Thanks for sharing the pics!

5. vckums

vckums Moderator

Awesome job as always~!

6. CrabbyChris22

Thanks guys, it was a heck of a job doing both of those tanks.

Yes Crabaddict, that's Fat B@stard in the upstairs tank.  I named the picture didn't I?  I know I did at some point but I don't think it was right off the bat when I posted the pics.  Good memory though, I'd forgotten all about the fact that someone here had a crab that looked like him.  Is Angel just as ornery and cranky as he seems to be?

7. kathleen

kathleen Guest

Very pretty tanks!  Thats a lot of work.

8. Crabaddict

Crabaddict Guest

Well, Angel's personality hasn't fully come out yet. Right know he is hiding a lot, molt maybe? From what I have seen he is a bit shy and skiddish though. Maybe after his molt he will be more settled and his true colors will show. I can't believe how much they look a like!  :petals:

9. CrabbyChris22

I need to see a pic of Angel again.  Hey, I'll post a pic of FB and you post Angel right here and we'll compare them side-by-side.

[​IMG]  [​IMG]  [​IMG]  [​IMG]

Ok, so I posted a couple.  He's a cool crab even if he IS meaner than cat crap.

10. CrabbyChris22

I need to see a pic of Angel again.  Hey, I'll post a pic of FB and you post Angel right here and we'll compare them side-by-side.

[​IMG]  [​IMG]  [​IMG]  [​IMG]

Ok, so I posted a couple.  He's a cool crab even if he IS meaner than cat crap.

11. Crabaddict

Crabaddict Guest

Fat B@stard is a looker! These are some pics I took of him a week after I got him home. I haven't located him in over two weeks, he must be molting. Last I saw Angel, he changed into a brand spanking new turbo peth; finally shedding that hideous painted shell I got him with.

[img=300x225]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l210/jabby77/hermies005.jpg[/img]
    [img=300x225]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l210/jabby77/hermies003.jpg[/img]
    [img=300x225]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l210/jabby77/hermies002.jpg[/img]
    Sorry the pics aren't so good. I will post more when he surfaces. You can see his exo is ashy a bit, esp by his thorax or top of his head.

12. CrabbyChris22

The pics are fine.  They do look incredibly alike.  The first one of mine is post molt and the last 3 were the day we got him.  He's changed shells several times but always into a WAY too small one.  The only real difference that I can see is that Angel is quite a bit smaller than Fat B@stard.  I don't pick him up anymore because he is a pinchy SOB and his BP is fairly large and will surely do some damage if he gets me.  He nips me every time as it is but I'm usually moving my hands and he hasn't gotten me too bad yet.  He got me good the day we got him though, as I was putting him in the box after Steph picked him out.  I nearly dumped his butt back into the tank but Steph really wanted him.  Oh well, he's still fun to watch though.

13. Joey Oh

Joey Oh Guest

Wow guys!  Both are very BEAUTIFUL crabs! 

I'm still learning the different types.... are they E's?

How big is Fat B? 

14. Crabaddict

Crabaddict Guest

Yup, they are E's. Angel is my largest E. I have only recently been able to locate E's in NY. I have to travel about an hour and 45 mins away. I think it is worth it! Not where I got Angel from, but another place that takes good care of them.

Yeah, I see a size difference. FB is huge for an E. Do E's get much bigger? I am still new to this species. I can't believe how fiesty FB is! It's cute how he is his own crab! :petals:

15. CrabbyChris22

Thanks Joey.  Yes, they are both Es.  I'll have to measure FB to see what size he is.  Like I said though, his shell is WAY too small for him but I'll see what I can do.  I don't dare hold him in my hand and snap a picture though because he will get me good with a pinch.  He's probably the only one that REALLY makes me nervous to pick up.  Well, the Es period make me nervous because every one of them pinch me.  I love them, I really do, but they are so mean.  In fact, my gorgeous brown E Chocolate Chip pinched me GOOD the other day in the webbing between thumb and first finger.  We were going to make the downstairs tank primarily an E tank except for 2 PPs down there.  We had moved FB and CC downstairs with all the other Es but then realized that FB & CC were the 2 crabs we were most likely to see out in the upstairs tank just about every day.  So we decided to put them back.  Well, I was changing out food or water the other day and saw CC so I picked him up to take him up.  I had him cupped in my hand and was grabbing something else to take up with me and that little s**t didn't even come out of his shell, just reached his BP out and grabbed that skin and held on tight.  The more I flattened my hand out to make him more secure, the harder he pinched.  It made my eyes water a little.  Now, CC is considerably smaller than FB. In the pics I posted the first one is FB and the white shell in front of him is CC.  If CC can pinch me like that being much smaller, I garauntee that FB is gonna put a hurtin' on me if he gets me like that.

I'll see if I can get some shots with FB this weekend with something near him to give a good perspective on his size.

Oh yeah, FB is quite large for an E.  Vicki and some other members were really surprised at his size when I first got him.  Apparently you don't see Es that big too much.  I don't know why that is but I know when I go around to stores and see Es they are usually tinies or smalls.  I've not even seen any CCs size since I got them.  I got CC, FB and 10 others all at the same time.  There were 2 others CCs size and then the rest were all smalls or tinies.  I prefer the little ones but FB is so dang grumpy and full of personality that I'm really glad we got him, even if he IS an SOB.

16. Crabaddict

Crabaddict Guest

Yes, I would love to see more pics of FB and CC! I really love E's, but never was able to locate them until now. Same here, all my E's except the micros are in shells too small for them. I guess they like a tight fit. I am glad you have FB, I don't think anyone else would of put up with his s***. I can only imagine how many blood blisters you gotten from FB, ouch! :petals: