1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Deep clean

Discussion in 'Say Cheese' started by HERMEZ, Aug 13, 2010.

1. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

[img=400x308]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a96/Herm-EZ/Tank%20set%20ups/DSC04250.jpg[/img]
    [img=400x256]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a96/Herm-EZ/Tank%20set%20ups/DSC04254.jpg[/img]
    [img=400x246]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a96/Herm-EZ/Tank%20set%20ups/DSC04253.jpg[/img]
    [img=400x260]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a96/Herm-EZ/Tank%20set%20ups/DSC04255.jpg[/img]
    [img=400x282]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a96/Herm-EZ/Tank%20set%20ups/DSC04256.jpg[/img]

deep clean pics!!

2. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

:drooltongue:  Absolutely Gorgeous!!

3. LordRhal

LordRhal "Preparing For Third Molt"

Very nice. Did you epoxy the plexiglass into place? what kind of glue did you use? I'm assuming you have a 80g-100g ish tank. I like what you did with it. I'm also going to deep clean soon and I wanted to use sand. What kind are you using? Thanks :)

4. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

no nothing is permanant - I just use the substrate and rock to hold it up. I use Toys R Us sand but I saw Walmart had some this spring dirt cheap- I might try that next year. its a 125G- THANKS

5. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

Every time I think my tank looks ok you have to come back and show off yours. You make me sick...lol. That is one big piece of cholla wood!!
    Great looking tank HERMEZ.

6. eljhdl

eljhdl "First Molt, A Success"

Gasp! I wanna be a hermie at your place!!!  :biglaugh:

Beautiful set up!!

7. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

Trixie stop that!!!!!

Thanks  :vinkko: ya'll I love doing the tanks. I get bored so easy so I always change it but I stay with a natural look

8. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever Guest

HERMEZ, your tank is BEAUTIFUL! In fact, all of the tanks belonging to members on here are BEAUTIFUL! My tank is terrible, and not at all attractive or appealing, whereas all of yours are attractive, appealing, creative, beautiful, spacious, and pretty! In fact, your tank (and everyone elses) is so nice, I wouldn't MIND being a crab, if it meant I got to live in your tank!

9. MyShell

MyShell (Micro Crab)

wow.....amazing

10. LordRhal

LordRhal "Preparing For Third Molt"

You should see what my first tank looked like, it was sad. Eventually you learn more and incorporate your new ideas in your more recent tanks. Remember, you`re your own worst critic!

11. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

How true and I have pics of what I thought was awesome LOL - a very true statement indeed - besides I am sure your too hard on yourself

12. Mini.Mrs.Crabs

Mini.Mrs.Crabs "Preparing For Second Molt"

WOW. so so nice! I love the white sand and that cholla wood looks so fun to climb on!

13. Solley

Solley (Micro Crab)

this tank is pure awsomeness!  :rockon: ive got an idea i have been thinking about doing in my 70gal once my straw decides to resurface  :scream:

14. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever Guest

Awwww... Tanks, (LOL, get it?!) you guys! You're the best. And you're right. Maybe I am being too hard on myself. After all, I am not a crab... They probably are luving the tank!

15. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

Thanks guys! I appreciate the kind words  :rockz:

16. Mama Crabs

Mama Crabs "Preparing For Second Molt"

Wow! Love the tank. I love how you made a second level into your substrate using the plexiglass. Is this the first time you've done this, or have you done it before? Did you just have a piece of plexiglass cut to set into the tank? Do the crabs get in and out of this level pretty good? Do you think I could do this with a 29 gallon? I would love to lower my water dishes on one side to a thin rock area, then have the plexiglass divide the rest of the tank with deep sand as you've done there. Does this help keep the water cleaner, with less substrate being brought in by digging grabs?

17. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

the water dish area should be higher but I cheated and rinsed my coral and ended up losing some in the process. I will buy new stuff next time. The plexi I have a bunch cut in all different sizes. I had 4 tanks running at one time so I have lots of supplies. They can get around anything these critters are amazing and def you can do it in your tank just use your creative juices!! It does help keep clean but the main reason I do it is so they wont molt under a water dish  :sunny:

18. Mama Crabs

Mama Crabs "Preparing For Second Molt"

So is crushed coral the best to use in this area, or can we use small river rocks? How deep should this area be? Will they still try to dig in these types of substrates? Will any water in this area drain through the rocks then be absorbed by the sand that's on the other side of the plexi glass, or could there be a puddle of water to form under the surface?

19. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

I prefer coral, river rocks are too slippery but gravel aquarium type - something natural would be ok. I do put a thin layer of sand under and yes sometimes they mess it all up. I dont have issues with water spilling so I cant help you there