1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Deep clean

Discussion in 'Say Cheese' started by vckums, Nov 2, 2006.

1. vckums

vckums Moderator

[img=300x225]http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/9672/img1078lm9.jpg[/img]

[img=300x225]http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/3038/img1089sr8.jpg[/img]

[img=225x300]http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/3977/img1080vf1.jpg[/img]

[img=225x300]http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/2279/img1081tm4.jpg[/img]

[img=300x225]http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/7338/img1088yw7.jpg[/img]

[img=300x225]http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/5414/img1083lh7.jpg[/img]

2. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

Way cool those huts are cute!! What are the empty bowls with rocks....water dish wanna bes? LOLOL sorry

That really looks cool--did u dig anyone up?

3. vckums

vckums Moderator

Thanks chick. The huts are 100% edible. alfalfa and honey. I have it sitting on some smooth river rocks.

water dish wannabes, smartypants. It was taken BEFORE I put in the water and air tubed.. :pffftt:

Didn't dig any live ones up. Keyword LIVE. I found 4 that passed. But Im missing 6. I found empty shells, but no bodies.  :tear:

4. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

OH NO!!!!!!!!! WHAT THE HECK  :tear: 6 missing did you check your cabinets? All siz shells are there?????

WHAT the huts are edible? How do I get one and how much?--do you EVER Stop being amazing?

5. vckums

vckums Moderator

I sifted my sand twice, went through ever shell in there. Checked the plants thoroughly. I don't know where else they could be.

I found the huts at the mom and pop place. I got the big one and it was $19. Im not sure what the little ones were. I can go check tho. Yup they are 100% edible. We even looked for metal wires, none in there.

6. Crabcrazy2

Crabcrazy2 (Small Crab)

:partyhat4:  Cool!  I've seen those huts at a few petstores around here and was wondering if they'd be OK.  Now I just gotta go shopping!  :partyhat4:

7. *Kathy*

*Kathy* Guest

WOW!  LOOKS GREAT! :dance2:

I saw those huts at Petco & almost bought one for the ant tank.  Let me know how yours like it!

8. kathleen

kathleen Guest

Your tank is beautiful.  I have never seen edible huts.  Thats a really interesting idea.  I am sorry about the crabs you lost.  Sometimes I find one like that too.

9. Joey Oh

Joey Oh Guest

WOW Vicki!  That is one awsome TAT!  I love the little huts!  I almost bought one too.... but I was concerned how they would hold up in the humidity.  So far are they workin' out pretty good?

You did an amazing job!  What kind of plants/grasses are those that you have in the sand... they look so neat!

Sorry to hear about the ones that didn't make it  :tear:

10. CrabbyChris22

CrabbyChris22 Hi, I'm New Here!

Ahhh, the deep clean.  I have one of those scheduled for this weekend, yippee (said with MUCH sarcasm).  I'm not sure why but I'm just NOT in the mood for it but it needs to be done so that I can turn on the UTH (it was 35F last night so it needs to come on).

I'm wondering how many dead ones I'm going to find when I go a'sifting.  There's some of my crabs that I just don't see any more at all, unless they are coming out ONLY while I'm asleep.  Vicki sounds as hands off as I am.  The absolute only time I pick up a crab is if it's right there when I'm in changing food/water (as you can imagine, that's pretty rare); other than that though, I don't go looking and I refuse to dig in the sand to check on any of them.  Heck, there might even be others that have passed in my downstairs tank.  I won't even go looking unless I smell something really bad in there but I haven't.

Vic, the huts are WAY cool.  Not only are they functional and edible, but they look cool too.  Once again you've created a perfect hideaway there.  I really need to hire you to be my tank decorator.

11. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

CHRISPY Chrispy Chrispy deep cleans are FUN!!  :partyhat4: lots of work but its like a FRESH clean slate - -I love them  :dance2:

12. CrabbyChris22

I know Herm.  I'm just so HO HUM about everything right now.  It's this time of year.  I think I suffer from SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) because every year about this time my mood and enthusiasm start going down the toilet.  I feel like I never can get enough sleep and for some reason now with the time change, I always want to sleep; i guess 'cause it gets dark so early now.  Herm, you know what i mean about that, you only live a couple hours north of me but on the same time zone and all.  this getting dark at like 5:30PM just "insert expletive" me off.

usually i look forward to deep cleans, but not right now.  Herm, you wanna come do it for me since you love it so much?  hey, you'd be my other option for tank decorator 'cause yours always look so nice.  i know you have OCD and all about the tanks, but that's cool.

13. Crabaddict

Crabaddict Guest

Pretty snazzy! Nice set up. I just love it when a deep clean has been done, I love watching the crabs explore their new and clean surroundings! Makes me feel like a good mom  :petals:

Vicki, sorry for your MIA crabs. I had the same problem when I did my last cleaning, I couldn't find 3 crabs  :tear:. All I can think of, is they got eaten by the others.

14. vckums

vckums Moderator

LOL OCD....

Herm's is gonna move to Cali..Right? Where its WARM :cheesygrin:

15. CrabbyChris22

holy cow, just for s&g's i decided to look up SAD, inparticular, the symptoms.  i just learned what all it includes and found that i have more things in common than i would have guessed http://www.sada.org.uk/symptoms.htm

i need to move somewhere warm and sunny all year long.  arruba, jamaica, virgin islands; yeah, somewhere like that.

16. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

If I had the time I would come do it Chris!!  :pinkhat:

Vicki you are moving with me Then you can buy a mansion and get MORE dogs and hermies!  :shake:

17. vckums

vckums Moderator

CALIFORNIA!!!!!!!!!!!

18. CrabbyOne

CrabbyOne Guest

Vicki, GORGEOUS tank!!! 

And I'm really sorry about your crabs.  I recently had one pass too, he was a real sweety....it looks like he got eaten post molt.  I don't think I'll let them molt in the main tank anymore.....Ecky, aka Hannibal Lecter, would eat all of my pets given the chance.

And I would LOVE to get one of those huts.  Are you thinking of putting them up on the site?

Sherry

19. vckums

vckums Moderator

if I can order them wholesale I will, if not I will just go and buy one if anyone wants it.

thanks, I have fun when I put the tanks together. It's the tearing apart that gets messy

20. KirbysMom

KirbysMom Guest

I wish I could make my tank like that where there are tiny areas for all the crabbies to hide and plants all over to climb through! I am limited to only a portion of the tank like that because Kirby is so big. he tries to climb on the plants and they fall off the wall! He does have his wood jungle gym he climbs on but his half of the tank is pretty open!