1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Deep Clean

Discussion in 'Say Cheese' started by vckums, Dec 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vckums

vckums Moderator

Today I did a deep clean on the tank. I am still in the process of adding more things but I wanted to upload some pictures real quick.

On the left side of the tank is the Monterey Beach Sand. On the right side is something new I wanted to try. It's Aragonite sand in Fiji Pink. A whole 15lb bag is on the right side, so that shows you how little you get in a bag. On the bag it says 0.5-1.0 mm diameter. Emma can you confirm for me that this is the grain size?

The pictures show everything dry. I moistened the sand a bit, I like to add it slowly so it doesn't get soaking wet.

There's hiawatha moss in the turtle dock with shells.

This is with the cardboard divider in. It has been taken out. The crabs will mix it up but I wanted to seperate it when I stuck the different substrates in. I think the color difference is amazing between the two substrates.
    [​IMG]

Monterey Beach Sand side
    [​IMG]

Aragonite Fiji Pink Sand
    [​IMG]

With some of the crabs.
    [​IMG]

2. imported_xAiZaOnigirix

imported_xAiZaOnigirix (Large Crab)

that's awesome!! i hope they like it!!! :rockz:

3. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Cool! what size is it? When you said pink sand i was like " Vicki! You know that died sand is bad for crabs*shakes finger*" But wow, that sand is really cool! I thought you meant the pink calci sand that's adverized for crabs. ::) It looks great!

4. willow555

willow555 (Large Crab)

I've heard that colered playsand is not bad for the hermies, is this true? I like your deep-clean, Viki!

5. vckums

vckums Moderator

Hehehehe Nope it's not calcisand. There's some kewl aragonite sands for sale. Next time I think I'm going to get the black one. It would look really kewl in there. Just need to make sure of the grain size first. I'm also thinking of getting it for my fishtank as well. I'd love to have a 10g tank with the black aragonite sand and some neons.

6. vckums

vckums Moderator

Testing

7. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

Testing, testing.

Yes, that's the right kind of sand, Vicki. :)

8. vckums

vckums Moderator

Glad you were able to post Emma. Great, I am going to check into getting the black aragonite sand as well then.

9. emmac350

And now for the full reply I had worked on:

You have the sugar grain sand, based off of grain size. Select is also safe; its size is 0.1-1.0 mm. To be perfectly honest, though, my initial crab setups for my guys was with reef sand that has grains up to 2mm and they were perfectly fine to molt in it and everything. It was fun watching them through their windows because they would sometimes move a single grain of sand across the glass.

10. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

Your tank looks great! :D :) :kpics:I love the plant and pink sand especially. I never knew how many colors natural sand could be! Wow... black sand! That would be awesome! Where can you find it?

11. OneOnion

OneOnion "Preparing For Third Molt"

Hey, I've got a ten gallon fish tank, too. It's still being cycled, though, so no fish yet. Careful though, because neon tetras are actually kind of sensitive to water quality, so they're better for more established tanks 2-3 months old. Black neon tetras ore Harlquin Rasboras are good substitute fish for Neons, but aren't as colorful. Just saying. And yes, black aragonite sand would look awesome in a planted fish tank.

Anyway, back to the hermits. I'm pretty much done with divided terrain in hermit crab tanks. My hermit crabs mixed the 2 substrates together so much that in some parts it's hard to tell which side is which. The worst part is, the 2 substrates I'm using are EE and ToysRus playsand, so the difference is much more noticeable.

12. imported_Sterwick

imported_Sterwick "Preparing For Second Molt"

I know I sound like an idiot, especially that Emma and many others think the Argonite sand is safe, but doesn't argonite have the same chemical composition as calcium carbonate? I know the crystal structures a bit different but surely it's too similar to calcium carbonate to be safe?

Stevo.

13. emmac350

It seems that the crystal structure makes the difference. We were actually having a discussion about this a week or so ago at the Hermit Crab Paradise forum The difference that we can find (granted, this is not a scientific difference) is that aragonite doesn't clump when wet or when it dries. Additionally, if you look at the grains of an Aragonite sand, they are rounded because it is a natural sand, i.e. it isn't made like playsand or calci-sand by crushing rocks. The grains of both of those sands are incredibly rough and can scratch the crabs' exos like a nail file does to your nails - leaving them much weaker.

I'm not sure if anyone has figured out exactly why Calci-sand clumps and entombs molting crabs but quite a few crabbers' experience with Calci-sand shows that it does clump and entomb molting crabs. I wouldn't discount real-life experience for anything.

14. imported_Sterwick

I see. The grains would be much rougher when make from crushing rock because the sea smooths the grains...... It seems just the way you make the product makes a huge difference.

Stevo.

15. limeslide

limeslide Guest

I've used the Crayola Colored Playsand safely, my PPs even molted in it!
    [img width=400 height=267]http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd324/limeslide/Hermit%20Crabs/DSC_5456.jpg[/img]

16. imported_Sterwick

I'm not sure you should use it though limeslide- you can see in the picture the sand has stuck all over your crabs, because it has clumped because it's wet. Plus dyed calci-sand is potentially worse than natural-coloured sand because there could be stuff in the dye that can harm your hermits, even if it is supposed to be non-toxic- we don't know much about crabs opposed to ,for example, a dog, so we don't know much about which sorts of chemicals can harm them. They may have molted in it but it still doesn't mean it's a perfect substrate or even a good one.

Stevo.

17. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I have had tropical fish for around 24 years, and I really would like to have a salt water tank, but I'm just a little afraid to take the plunge. Maybe one of these days....

But the real reason I'm commenting is about the ARAGONITE sand.

Marine and Reef environments need more calcium and magnesium which will buffer the pH to higher levels.

Aragonite is a calcium carbonate mineral and it holds a lasting reservoir of calcium carbonate, which is slowly but constantly released to buffer and to hold up the pH in water. The released calcium is a valued trace element for corals and overall functionality of the aquarium. Aragonite sand can be mixed with live sand or crushed corals.

Also, it is good for bottom dwellers and those who are constantly looking for food on the bottom of the tank. It doesn't get hard or clump and therefore doesn't have the potential of harming the fish.

If I ever change over to sand, this is the sand I want to try. But beware, it is VERY expensive, but oh so soft.

Here is a guide to help you determine how much sand you'll need to purchase.

Multiply the length of the tank by the width of the tank --- then multiply the depth of the sand you would like to use (ex. 5 inches, 6 inches, stc.) The total divided by 20 will give you the approximate quantity needed in Lbs. You can divide that total by 10 Lbs or 20 Lbs (total in bags), and that will give you the amount of bags you will have to get.
    Bear in mind---This is ONLY an estimate, you may need less, or more, depending on the layout of your tank.

18. vckums

vckums Moderator

I've seen a friends lizards have colored body parts do to them being in a home where the person used colored calci sand. Once they were put into a tank without that the color evenntually came off. That right there shows that the dye they use comes off the sand. It's not a substrate anyone should use, for safety reasons.

In the tank I have that was 1 bag of aragonite sand. It was $18 at Petsmart. For adult crabbers which semi small tanks I'd say use it. For kids no way are many parents going to buy this for their kids. Play sand is cheaper and they can get many uses out of it should they decide to not bake it and reuse it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.