1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

deep clean time is here

Discussion in 'The Sand Castle Lounge' started by Mckenny, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

:hermez2:  YIPPEE--- It's Deep Clean time again!!  :eeeek:

Well, actually I don't mind doing it, but it takes me forever (or so it seems).  I fiddle with this and move that and take out a few things and put in a few things.

:amie3:
    Of course there's the 7 Eco Earth bricks to soak in several buckets (I have a 75 gallon tank) and the removal of the old substrate  :hermzpoo:  and washing and soaking and drying and checking and rechecking my crabs who are all now "up close and personal" in another tank........ :wav:

And Then There's The  :photo:        I absolutely  :tuna: at posting pics.
    So, if you don't hear from me in a few days, you'll know where I'll be......sobbing because all the hours of work I just put into the tank have been destroyed in a matter of minutes by a bunch of "wild and crazy"  :straw:!!

2. How often do you "deep clean" and how many crabs do you have?

3. Mckenny

Me personally I like to do a deep clean every 6 months.  Some do it every 4 months.  It all depends how messy your tank gets and on personal choice.
    I tidy up the tank every week and rinse my shells in Marine salt water every two weeks.  This cleans out any debris that may have gotten in the shells and protects their soft bodies from being irritated.

I use a bucket to rinse them in and place them back in the shell compartment.  If there is a tad bit of water left in the shell the crabs don't mind.

I have 23 crabs in a 75 gallon tank with a 2nd story and I've been crabbing since 2007 or 2008, (I've lost track of time)
    A number of them were adopted from a Sailor who was being transferred to Florida and then deployed overseas.  :flower:

4. :thanks: for the info.  Right now mine aren't very messy.  Very easy spot cleaning.  They are little.  They have a place to hide, cholla to climb, need to get more substrate, have a container right now with deeper substrate in case needed before I get more, food dishes, hemp ladders to climb and too many shells.  The girls(?) have to have their wardrobe  :hahahaha: 

I never hear of anyone around here having  :straw:  but the one pet store says they sell a lot of them.  Maybe the larger towns.  I'm in a rural area.  Nearest pet store is about 20 miles.  I only know of two within 21 miles.  Glad to hear you adopted some from someone.  That was a good thing  :rockz:  That's something I would do.  Are yours different varieties?

5. Mckenny

I have PP's...some regular coloring, some darker, two almost black, and one a redish---thought he was a Strawberry but turns out he's a Purple Pincher.
    Two E's...one brown and the other a pale blue.
    There are two Ruggies and three more I need to get a verification on.

They are of various sizes from medium to large and all get along well.

6. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

good luck on the deep clean! I'm trying to do it but my crabs are molting one at a time.And being the size they are they are taking their sweet time.It has been over a year since their last molt and go down and up ,down and up over and over.One that has completed its molt, two are down and 3 have been going through the process of trying to make up their mind.Taking their sweet time.

7. Mckenny

:scream:    :chuckle: