1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Deep Clean and new tank pics

Discussion in 'The HCRU Family Photo Album - Say Cheese.' started by vckums, Feb 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vckums

vckums Moderator

2. vckums

vckums Moderator

3. vckums

vckums Moderator

Another full tank view
    [​IMG]

4. msdiamonddawg

msdiamonddawg "Third Molt In Progress"

Beautiful tank Vicki! So nice and clean and tropical...makes me want to leave Canada for some warm island retreat. LOL ...

I can't find any of that Choya wood around here. I have had to resort to making my own things. I dunno if this link works, but I'll try it!

My 10 gallon:

Kodakgallery.com Sign in to Kodakgallery.com

5. nancy

nancy "Preparing For Second Molt"

Ms. Diamond, I love all your home made stuff. Your tank is beautiful and very imaginative. What is in your second level? Does the flowerpot have a hole in the side to make it a hidey too. I'd like to hear all about it.

6. vckums

vckums Moderator

I love the twine, is it hemp netting?? How'd you make the log hidey? I am not very crafty, ok I'm not crafty at all. I've tried making things and I got ideas but they just never work for me. I bought these kewl rolled cork bark pieces, and wanted to make a "tree". It looked ridiculous. LOL

I sell the choya, let me know a size and I can get it if I don't have it in the store.

7. msdiamonddawg

Thanks Nancy! I can't take credit for my "tower of string". I "borrowed" the idea from someone elses tank - I say borrowed 'cause she knows, which makes it okay - LOL!

The second level is just more playsand with the hut, and extra shells. Unfortunately the flowerpot does not have an a hole, as I don't know what to use to cut one out! I really wanted it to be another hidey. I don't feel too bad though because my guys never really hide anyway. They, of course, need to be the center of the universe! They have the two water dishes at either side, but plenty of room left behind the pot to run around. The "ladder" I made up to the second level actually fell apart the day after I made it. I think the humidity just doesn't keep anything sticking together. I will try again with something else.

8. msdiamonddawg

The twine - hmmm, I dunno. Picked it up at the dollar store. LOL. The netting on the back wall, I went to Canadian Tire and bought a cheap fishing net. I cut it off the handle and it worked! The log hidey thing I bought from the petstore. It's for hamsters or something. Just had to make sure it was safe for hermie use!

Have you ever shipped Choya wood to Canada? I heard that it's hard to get over the border, which is why no one sells it here? Not really sure why????

9. nancy

nancy "Preparing For Second Molt"

I envy all you creative people. My tanks are very utilitarian. I need to have more fun with my tanks. My crabbies don't need an uptight mammy. Vicki, I love the way the cholla logs are used. How are the crabbies liking their new digs?

10. msdiamonddawg

Hey Nancy, can you post pictures of yours? I love the cholla wood too.

11. vckums

vckums Moderator

thanks!

Yes I've shipped choya to Canada. Never had a package returned.

12. vckums

vckums Moderator

The crabs are soooooooo active. I think the tank was too cold for them and that's why they buried. I couldnt even find the Indo and he's HUGE. I took some more pics.
    I bought a second hood. I am now running during the day repti-sun 2.0 & 8.0 and 2-60 watt day glows. At night I'm running 2-75 watt night glows.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. vckums

vckums Moderator

[​IMG]
    New E's compared to the Indo behind them on the log. See the size difference.

[​IMG]
    Here they are basking under the new lights. I still have some there this morning.

14. CrabCurious

CrabCurious "Never Molted"

Vckums I had a question for you:

I saw something in photos of your setup (from another thread) that I just got, and I was curious about it. I am setting up a crabitat as a gift and got this edible hut (actually marketed for rodents) that is alfalfa and honey, I think you have it? It looks like a treestump with a grass roof and I wondered if it had prblems wtih the humidity/moisture in the crabitat, and also if the hermies ate it. Thanks!

15. wickedannabella

wickedannabella (Micro Crab)

Oooo I'm going to have to order some choya soon.

16. vckums

vckums Moderator

I didnt have any problems with the humidity with it. I did see areas that looked like it was eaten for sure!

lol Wiki

17. vckums

vckums Moderator

I jsut saw you were in the Bay Area, what part?

18. CrabCurious

CrabCurious "Never Molted"

I live really close to Monterey.

I just started setting up tank today! I am making it for a friend, but already the gears are going in my brain, and I can tell 10 gallons just doesn't fit everything I want! Hopefully helping her get started will be a jump start for me, I have yet to become a crab owner.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.