1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Deep Clean 10g

Discussion in 'HCRU Crabitat's - Biography's Of Our Crabitats' started by CoolDoggy10, Oct 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CoolDoggy10

CoolDoggy10 (Large Crab)

2. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

Maybe I'm missing something, but I only see one water bowl and one food bowl with commercial food in there. Are you offering both fresh and salt (how treated?)? What are you feeding?

3. CoolDoggy10

CoolDoggy10 (Large Crab)

in the food bowl there's lettuce and I left the water bowl out my bad

4. cloie74

cloie74 "Second Molt, A Success"

Iceberg lettuce has no nutritional value whatsoever, it is all water.
    Romaine lettuce has alot of nutrients in it and is much better. But should not be a diet staple, they need all kinds of fruits and veggies and cooked meats for protein.
    I dont think your substrate is deep enough and it also looks too dry.
    Sand should be sand castle consistency you should be able to stick your finger in it and not have any fall in the hole but dry enough so it does not drip when you squeeze a handful.
    Also I dont see a humidity gauge and the temp gauge you are using is for Water, not ambient air so it may not give an accurate reading.
    I love that little ducky guy in there though and your crabs DO seem happy to have a clan house ;)

5. Crabby_Crazy

Crabby_Crazy "First Molt, A Success"

The magical world of ponies! (ok, not really. my h
    Oh, cooldoggy.....when are you getting a bigger cage?!?!?!

6. CoolDoggy10

CoolDoggy10 (Large Crab)

My lettuce has purple stuff, carrots, and lettuce combined
    I have a temp on the floor and my humidity guage was out when I was taking pics (sorry)
    I'll try to get the sand deeper and wetter

7. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

Your tank looks really clean and nice! I have a few suggestions, though:
    A coco hut and a log aren't enough hiding toys for 12 hermit crabs. Maybe you can put some more coco huts and another fake plant.
    Like cloie said, hermit crabs need more nutrition. They should have meat, fruits, and veggies every day, and grains almost every day. Hermies also need fats and lipids once or twice a week. And honey and peanut butter should also be fed often.
    Also, I didn't see any extra shells in your tank. A minimum of 3-4 shells needs to be provided for each crab. Since 36 shells is a lot, maybe you can make a second level shell shop! A lot of hermit crabs would like climbing up to there.
    But most of all, you need a bigger tank! I tried to help you look for tanks on craigslist, but they weren't in your area, so you should try to do that yourself!

8. cloie74

Cool you should also look on your local Freecycle.org for tanks for FREE even if you could get another 20 Gallon and split up your crabs 6/6 for now til you can get more room.
    here is the link to Freecycle, good luck! The Freecycle Network

9. CoolDoggy10

CoolDoggy10 (Large Crab)

I have 2 hiding huts but that ones in the ISO with SuperCrab. I see if I can find more fake plants....
    I have a bunch of shells (about 36-40) it just that I don't want to mix them up one day.....
    Also there food is been changing every day so now they have celery, and tomorrow I was thinking apples, or meat

10. cloie74

Celery is another one of those veggies that is made up of all water, no real nutritional value. Try thinkgs like Carrots, Cukes, Broccoli, Green Peppers, Eggplant, Zucchini.
    Apples are good so are bananas any berry and of course coconut.
    you should give them a little of each food group every day (except dairy thats once in a while)
    Next time Chicken is for dinner, chop off a raw piece and microwave it un seasoned and chop it up and put it in the fridge and add a few pieces every day!
    Also hard boiled egg works well for protein and the shell is good for calcium.
    Your hermies need more protein and vitamins! :) Also you can try baby food, they apparently love it but I cant stand the smell of it so I dont use it lol

11. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

Not just any baby food - you can't use it unless it's organic baby food as some of the non-organic brands have preservatives, sugars, and salts.

Also, cloie is right - your crabs need meat every day along with their fruits and veggies. While celery isn't a hit, my guys do love celery leaves.

12. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever (Large Crab)

Congratulations, CoolDoggy10!!! I cleaned my 30-gallon tank today, too!!!

13. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Ok. Twelve hermit crabs need a minimum of a 40 gallon tank in my mind. I don't think it's fair to your crabs. Remember when you had nine and said you would get no more??? I thought they were over crowded then.... But, your tank does look nice and clean.;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.