1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

December '06 Contest Entry Thread

Discussion in 'HermitCrabs"R"Us Exclusive Contest - "A Boardwalk ' started by Jason, Nov 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jason

Jason Moderator

Please post your “how you got started crabbing” stories in this thread to enter the contest. All non contest will be moved to the announcement thread.

Jason

2. Felicity Loves Animals

Felicity Loves Animals (Small Crab)

I was around 10 years old, and had no idea how to take care of a hermit crab. Actually, I didn't know people had them as pets. Me and my dad went to the center of the mall, and we saw hermit crabs EVERYWHERE! So, my Dad bought one for me, and I named him Tigger because of his shell. I was playing with Tigger ATLEAST two hours a day, and watered his sponge and fed him whenever it was needed. Studied a lot about them on the internet and realized that he needed more than just water and food. He needed a bigger crabitat, more fresh food, etc. So I did a lot of that, most of it my Nana paid for. All his buddies seemed to not live long, but he always did! So... that's how I started crabbing!
    THE END!:)

3. crazy4crabs

crazy4crabs "Second Molt In Progress"

I first started crabbing when I was about 10. I had wanted one so bad because one of my firends at school had one. I made out lists of names and things I would buy for them. I didnt know anything about them except that I wanted one. Then my friend got bored with her two and asked if I wanted them. Of course I said yes but I had to fight with my mom about keeping a pet in my room. then I told my mom that my friends dad was going to kill her crabs if she didnt give them away (not the truth but he was going to let them go in her back yard). My mom said yes and I did lots of research on not only the internet but in the public library and from other people who I knew had them. Today I have 10 crabs ranging from a micro to a large in a 20 gallon long tank with a second story.

4. dancinhermielover

dancinhermielover (Micro Crab)

I also started when I was around 10. My dad had told me about the hermit crabs he had owned when him and my mom first got married. I decided I wanted to get one too. Unfotunately, I had no idea how to take care of my first crab, Gomez (named after Gomez from the Addams Family), and he didn't live for very long. He also was the only alive one in the tank and wasn't very active. :( Then, I had completely forgot about hermit crabs until over the summer, until after vacation when I decided I wanted one. So I bought Slugger, who is still alive. Then I found out he (who I later found out is a she) needed a friend. So then came Caramel into my home. Then, I was out shopping with my parents and we happened to go into PetSmart. We were looking at the crabs and my dad said, "Do we dare buy another one?" I said, "YES!" So we bought Thunder. Then came Violet after a few weeks when we were back in PetSmart. That very same night, I went to PetCo and I saw a teeny PP that I just fell in love with. A week later, I went and bought Midge with one of her friends, Stumpy. So that is how I came to have 6 hermit crabs. :)

5. Hermitz101

Hermitz101 (Micro Crab)

Hmmm.... I think I saw my first hermit crab when I was about 9-10 years old. I thought they were soo cool. But, when I asked my mom if I could have one, she said let's wait until your older, and I completly forgot about them. Then about 2 years later, when I was 12 years old, my dad and brother were taking a vacation together, so me and my mom decided to go shopping in the mall(and break all the house rules). Well, we were walking along and we went by a small animal kiosk, and of course, I stopped to look at the animals, saw the hermit crabs, and loved them. Then my mom suprised me by saying, "You want to get a hermit crab?" and I,naturally, replied,"Really? Yes!!" So we got one and I started researching about them found what they needed, all the while my mom going along with some things like getting another hermit crab. But when I wanted to decorate my tank she called me obsessed. Oh well, that's my mom for ya :D . I am now have two hermit crabs, and next time we go to PetsMart, I'm going to get some more.:)

6. msdiamonddawg

msdiamonddawg "Third Molt In Progress"

I am 35 and I started crabbing at age .. oh, 35! It's actually even the first time I have EVER seen one live and in person! I was strolling through a flea market and came upon a booth with the little creatures all set up. My boyfriend and I stopped to look, along with the hundred or so other people. Where we live, you don't see many crabs - and if you did, they would be in Igloos, not Coco Huts!! We started talking to the couple. They made it seem like the little ones were so easy to take care of, the excitment and emotions and adrenline just built up....and voila! I became an instant mother of two!

Thank goodness for Internet! I started looking up on them and found that there was soooo much I wasn't told. Humidity? Temperature? Molting? Misting? Salt water? Whaaa happened to just leaving them in my $30 set up and looking in on them to say hello?!? I ran out the next day and spent ... oh, we won't even discuss that! My b/f looked at me like I had just lost my mind.

Anyway, that's how I got started. I love them and am obsessed with them! My b/f jokes around that my 170 Rottweiler would also enjoy them - crab meat for dinner! HAHA...

7. dancinhermielover

dancinhermielover (Micro Crab)

I meant when we got him from Petco. He was the only one living in the Petco tank. I hope it didn't sound like I had a bunch of dead crabbies in my tank. :)

8. hermiefun

hermiefun "Preparing For Fourth Molt"

I got my hubby addicted to Hermit crabs long before we got them. When I was back in Australia my cousins had 2 crazy crabs, which they didn't look after so I did. I fell in love with the little guys. I met my hubby about 2 1/2 years ago on the net. I came over about 6 months later, then 3 months after that we got married. I talked about hermies all the time but my hubby had never seen them. May of 2005 we had to go to Minneappolis for Immigration so we spent a day at the Mall of America. We found a little stall there that was selling hermies. Hubby was amazed and fell in love right away. We stayed and watched them for hours. We couldn't afford to gey any though and didn't have a tank. So we decided to wait and we slowly brought stuff for them. Then this year my mother came over for a vacation when we took her to the airport to go home we were feeling a little low soon the way home we found a pet store called Little Critters. We stopped in to see if they had any hermies and they did. We decided to get 5 hermies. 2 small, 2 medium and 1 jumbo. I wish we could have brought them all cos they werent being looked after very well. Now there are some nights we watch them more than TV. The kids love them to but are scared of touching them lol. sorry its a little long but thats how we fell in love with hermies. We hope to get more soon.

9. HermieNewbies

HermieNewbies Hi, I'm New Here!

10. jengstro

jengstro (Micro Crab)

I went to a rummage sale for a young man who was going into the Army and trying to get rid of some of his stuff, and he had a little tiny hermie that was I a small fish bowl, like you would find a beta in, it had gravel and two metal beer caps one with a small sponge with water and one with commercial hermit crab food. No one ended up buying his crab and his mom was just going to let it go outside or flush it. So I ended up taking it home, I set up a 10 g for it, I had gravel for substrate, a food dish, and water. I also fed it only commercial food, well needless to say the poor thing died the second day I had it. I am thinking he was on his way out anyway (the young man had him living in that small bowl for almost a year, I don’t know how he made it that long), but I would imagine that the stress of the move and the new larger living area it just finished the poor little guy off.
    Well onto the second part of my story which is much happier than the first (I promise). For a while I moved the empty shell around so my kids wouldn’t know it was dead (I know I am terrible, I did eventually tell them, my son knew all along and my daughter said that I was a weirdo for trying to trick them). Then I started researching hermit crabs intending to get some more, and found out that I had absolutely no idea what I was doing.
    So now 3 months later, I won’t say that I know everything about crabbing but I know a considerably more than I did back them, thanks to many web sites, mainly this one. And I believe that I have a pretty descent 10g set up, which I hope to use for an isolation tank and move up to a much larger tank, so I can get even more crabs, and enjoy their company while they live a long, happy, healthy life.
    What may seem to have started out as very sad story has turned out much happier (I feel terrible that the other little fella had to die in order for me to do some research). My new crabbies are living in an environment that is suitable for them, and being taken care of properly. I also have spoken to many people that have hermit crabs, a few them were not taking care of them properly, and had no idea how to, but with a little help from me and advising them to search the web for information they are now also taking proper care of their hermies. I have also talked with some people who where planning on getting some thinking they could go in the pet store and spend 10-20 dollars for the whole set up and changed their minds and realizing that they need proper care and are not throw away pets. So hopefully through me there are some much happier, healthier hermies in the world.

11. landhermie

landhermie "Never Molted"

I was 8 or 9. One of my neighbors had hermit crabs, and showed me them. I thought they were awesome! I asked my mom for hermit crabs for my birthday.

When I got home, my mom gave me a small container with 2 hermit crabs with maybe an inch of sand. It didn't have any gauges or salt water. It had commercial food in it.

A year or two later, my mom set them up in a ten gallon, and used gravel as a substrate. A few months later, all of my crabs started losing their limbs. After a while, I realized that we were doing something wrong, and I went on the Internet and looked up information on hermit crab care. I realized what I was doing wrong. I was really surprised. I wrote my mom a list of everything I'd need. I had already saved up money myself, so I paid for it. The only thing that was wrong after that was I didn't have enough sand.

Then, I got a straw. I named him Ruby. I had gotten salt water for him after that. The tank I had for him was only a 10 gallon. I got another straw.

I didn't realize that they needed more room, nor that hermit crabs need a lot of substrate. They both around January. So then I told my mom that they could use playsand. We went to buy it.

Then, I got some more crabs. For some reason, the Es kept on dying :?.

NOW I have 4 Es, some PPs, 3 ruggies, and 1 straw. I need to get my straw a buddy. He had a buddy, but it died of PPS.

That's pretty much my whole crabby story from beginning to the present. :) Of course, I DID leave out some stuff, like creating a website and stuff, but I couldn't mention it all.

12. nancy

nancy "Preparing For Second Molt"

My story starts rather late in life. My husband keeps birds and I find them very noisy and messy. I've always been fascinated with hermit crabs but was never allowed to bring them home as a child. First husband wouldn't have them either. So, at the age of 54 I went to Rehobeth Beach with my second husband, Earle. I spied hermit crabs in the Sea Shell Shop and was told that I could have three if I named them after marines. So on the way home we picked up a kritter carrier and Semper, Fi, and Gunny. Fi passed away in the kritter carrier. I anxiously came home from work to check on the other two, They were placed in a ten gallon aquarium with sterilized beach sand. First Gunny lost a leg and a few days later crawled out of his painted shell and died. I was so upset. My husband has a good heart and could't take it. He drove me to Petco and I ended up with six Equadorians, who were known as the LRRPs. Long range recon something. Well, I have to say it has ballooned. I now have a twenty gallon high tank with smaller crabs of various species and a twenty gallon long with Moose, Bulldog, and Semper. Hurray for the marines! One last thing to add. How do I get a Jumbo purple pincher out of my iso? He comes out to eat when I'm not home and then buries again. I don't want to dig him up. It's been two months but he may still be destressing. God Bless and Happy Crabbing!

13. SoonerChick2007

SoonerChick2007 Hi, I'm New Here!

How I Recieved Rudolph and Snowflake

The story of how I got my hermit crabs is followed:

When I was younger, a couple years ago, I wanted despertly for a pet. But, since my family members had/ have allergies, a dog, cat, hamster,e ct. was out of the question. And there was no way I was getting a snake. So, one day, I decided that I wanted a hermit crab. For my birthday, my brother adn sister bought me one, and my parents got me the cage. I absolutely loved them! But, as I was young, maybe 9, I didn't properly take care of them, so after about 5 months they passed. After their death, I did not buy new ones. My mom simply sent the supplies to a charity and I was done. Now, at age 13, I was aching for a little friend, so I asked for one for Christmas. My aunt, uncle, adn cousins sent me money to buy one. After doing research and calculating, I bought what was necessary for keeping my hermit crabs safe, healthy, and alive. Since they were a Christmas gift, I decided that it was only right if I gave them a holiday name, so thats how Rudolph and Snowflake came to be. I enjoy them all the time, and can't wait for my collection to grow! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.