1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dead or surface molt?

Discussion in 'Emergency Care - 911.' started by Kotachi, May 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kotachi

Kotachi Hi, I'm New Here!

okay I'm really new to this so I have no idea, but I found one of my hermit crabs, momo, out of his shell and he's not moving. is he molting or is he dead?

2. Kotachi

Oh and I have sand as my substrate, temperature is like...well, room temperature, and it's almost summer so it's slightly warm. It's not very humid, idk same as my room as I guess, and the tank is...5 liters, and there is no lid or lighting. No salt water yet, haven't got that yet

3. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Ok. I know this long and dreaded boring form but please fill out the emergency form. It's sitting in the emergency care section at the very top. IF you lift his shell up and he falls out then look into his shell. If he were to surface molt he would be in his shell and that would be his exo you thought was him. If he is dead then he would start to smell. If he smells just a little when you sniff, leave him. If he smells up the whole tank then he is probably dead.:( Please go real the check list. Go to the portal by clicking in the top left corner and when you get there move your mouse down to the checklist. It has everything you will need to stick in you tank. Also look in general care for the post called "I just got a crab, now what?". Both of these will give you helpful information and every other stick y explaining this and that.
    Good Luck.

4. Kotachi

idk I can't fill in half the questions there, and the strange thing is, he doesn't smell much at all

5. cococrisp

Leave him there he is probably surface molting. Make sure he has his exo and that he has plenty of calcium. Now is a great day to go out and buy a plexiglas lid, deep water bowl, humidity and temperature gauges etc. GO look at that checklist and turn it into you shopping list.

6. Kotachi

okay thanks (I'll do that but I don't think you understood me, he's naked, out of his shell, and he hasn't molted yet, so...)

well I'll see what I can find at the pet store

7. cococrisp

He's not running around like crazy, is he? I heard on hermit-crabs.com that you can put them in a cup when they do that and they will not be able to run from his shell. He is probably stressed out because he does not have humidity or salt water. What you can do now is follow some guides. GO read on hermit-crabs.com and they will tell you more about the out of shell thing.

8. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

I agree with cococrisp. He is probably surface molting. Make sure the other hermit crabs can't get to him. You can put a coconut hut or something over him.

9. clover

clover "Preparing For Second Molt"

u need humidity lid heat salt!

10. cococrisp

Ok. I really don't know what that jumble of words meant. She is going to buy what she needs on the checklist.

11. Kotachi

Uh...I'm a guy. :p

12. cococrisp

Oh Sorry.:eek:

13. Kotachi

haha it's fine :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.