1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dead or Molting?!

Discussion in 'Emergency Care - 911.' started by Tox, Jul 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tox

Tox (Micro Crab)

Just a few moments ago i went to go clean my tank out, Percy and Picasso were on top so i took them out and do what i usssually do, i shuffled some sand around to see is Patric wasn't just under the surface hiding, like he ussually is, then i went a bit deep by accident and i found him half hanging out of his shell not moving or anything! I've read all about molting, but never actualy expirenced it. There is a slight fishy smell, but not stong at all, that smell is always there -.-"

I dug a whole in my iso tank and put him in there with a dark cloth over the tank with a small dish of food and water.

Is he molting?!
    Is he dead?!
    if hes molting what do i need to do?!

HELP!
    PLEASE!

2. heather77

heather77 (Micro Crab)

if he is molting you just need to leave him in the iso since you already put him there. ( a good rule to remeber is you dont ever want to mess with a burried crab unless he has been gone for a month or so hopefully some one can tell you excatly how long. Just make sure he has extra shells , fresh and salt water avaiable for him. and leave him in the dark and only messing with him to change his food and water. If he is dead your fishy smell will get alot stronger and you will know that he is. also did he fall out of his shell when you picked him up. if so that just might be his exo. Hope that helps a little.

3. msdiamonddawg

msdiamonddawg "Third Molt In Progress"

Hey guys,

You don't want to dig up a crab!! A month is still waaay too soon. My crabs molted for 7 weeks and the bigger they get, the longer their molts can take. Unless they under for months, I wouldn't suggest looking. Unforunately, there is no set or exact time that they should be under.

You could have left your crab in the main tank and covered him, but since you have moved him now, just let him be. Keep the tank dark and quiet and hope for the best. as heather says, the fishy smell will definitely get stronger if he has passed away. Keep a lot of calcium handy because if he is molting, he will need it when he comes up.

Keep us posted and good luck!

4. keris hermies

keris hermies "Third Molt In Progress"

Heather & Ms...pretty much covered it all.Lol.But,keep us updated on Patric's condition.

5. MarieEvans

MarieEvans Hi, I'm New Here!

he not dead he molting think that migth rigth not sure

6. crazy4crabs

crazy4crabs "Second Molt In Progress"

if there is a fishy smell you need to clean your tank out. your tank shouldnt smell fishy unless you have a dead crab.

7. BiZAceTriZ

BiZAceTriZ Hi, I'm New Here!

if it's molting you can see it tucked into his shell
    if his whole body is out hanging and nothing inside the shell, means his most likely dead..

8. alli'smommy

alli'smommy "Preparing For Third Molt"

Okay, so I know not to dig up a buried crab, but how do you clean you tank and straighten up the stuff if one is buried? If you start messing with the sand and one is buried, won't it collapse the "hole" they're in and sufficate them?

9. msdiamonddawg

msdiamonddawg "Third Molt In Progress"

I only slightly clean the surface when a crab is down...picking up old food, changing water...that's about it. I don't do any major cleaning or redecorating. But having said that, I only have 3 crabs in the main tank right now, so it's not a major issue.

I learned the hard way about messing with a buried crab...that yes, you can collapse their air pockets and they may be too weak to make it to the surface (molting). Mine survived after I did things I shouldn't have done, and now I don't even touch what I don't have to! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.