1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dead, Molting, or Sick?

Discussion in 'Emergency Care - 911.' started by Ariant, Jul 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ariant

Ariant Hi, I'm New Here!

How long have you had the crab(s) in question? About 2 weeks, but he was given to me by a neighbor, who had him for about a year.

Do you know what species they are? No, but he doesn't have big claws.

Did you/Do you isolate new crabs? He is in the same tank, just moved to a different owner, so no.

Tank Size: Not sure.

Lid Type: Plastic, with holes.

Placement of tank in your home: Outside on the back (screened) porch, out of sunlight.

Substrate Used (moist or dry & depth): Dry sand, 2 inches

Type of Gauges: Analog

Did you test your humidity gauge for accuracy? Yes.

Placement of Gauges: On the wall next to him.

Temperature and Humidity levels: 85F, 50%

Do you have at least one area for each crab to hide? Yes.

Is there any metal in your tank? No.

What types of climbing things/toys do you have in your tank? Two bowls, two shells, and a fake plant.

What type of water do you use (dechlorinated tap/spring water)? Spring water.

Do your provide fresh and salt water? If yes, what type of salt mix do you use? Yes, I buy the salt water from the pet store, bottled.

Do you provide dishes for water or just sponges? Dishes.

How many extra shells do you have for each crab? 2

Did you boil the shells prior to putting them in the tank? No.

Do you bathe your crabs? If yes, how often and what do you use to bathe them in? No.

Do you only handle your crabs with clean hands? Yes.

How often do you handle them? Every day.

Have they been exposed to toxins such as chemical/cleaning fumes, perfume, spray deodorant, etc? No.

Do you allow your crabs to exercise outside the tank?

What types of foods do you feed? Dried fish, spinach, and cheerios for the occasional treat.

What do you use as a calcium supplement? Egg shells.

Also, shortly after we got him from a neighbor, his left front 'forearm' was missing, then he started to develop a white sac under it.
    ---------------------------

So, here's the story. Last night, I found Mr. Krabs in his shell, laying on his back, in his house. I took him out to play on the concrete porch, but he wouldn't come out, or even move. I examined him to make sure he was okay, his 'shoulders' were purple (instead of the usual red) and his new arm sac had turned red. I poked his right arm and found it was limp.

After a while staring at him wondering if he was dead, I saw his little fins moving (not sure what they're called, the look like little fins on his body). I decided he just didn't want to come out and put him back in his cage, but in a different place with his shell up.

I woke up this morning to find him in the same place, except in a sort of crater in the sand, with his legs and head out of his shell. However I couldn't see his eyes, they were covered by his legs. His exoskeleton had turned a strange shade of purple. I didn't see any signs of him moving at all, so I picked up his shell barely to see if he would react, and alas nothing happened.

I just looked in his water bowls to see if they needed changing, and I found a VERY small (barely visible) worm-like thing swimming around the fresh water bowl... I fear it may be what killed him if he's dead. I am very worried for Mr. Krabs, and I'm not sure what's up with him. If anyone can offer any insight or advice, that would be great!

Thanks in advance.

2. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Read the sticky in general care. It will help you loads on setting up a new tank. It sounds sort of like a molt. A surface most. Leave him be and don't touch him. try to get sand twice as deep as him, sand castle consistency and not calci sand ASAP. He is not able to bury himself in dry sand and the little sack he made might have been a gel limb. A gel limb is what they do after they loose a limb. I think it's a good sign but your tank needs to improve. The humidity needs to be 75%-80%ish. Read the sticky and other stickies, especially in the molting section.
    Good Luck.

3. Ariant

Ariant Hi, I'm New Here!

Thank you very much!

Like I said I got him from a neighbor as kind of a spur-of-the-moment thing. Weird, I know. I will go buy some new sand and make sure it is wet from now on.

Now my question is, should I wait for him to move before I replace the sand or carefully scoop him up into a new tank?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.