1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dangerous digging?

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by Missy, Nov 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Missy

Missy (Micro Crab)

I currently have a crab trying to dig right above where two of my other crabs are below (there are 3 of them down there but 2 are directly below and have been down there for going on 6+ days)

Should I be concerned that he will dig them up? I know someone said they will usually try to find their own space but is there a chance my crabs are in the process of molting and he wants to eat them? I'm afraid if he gets any closer he will definitely smell them. What should I do?:(

2. cloie74

cloie74 "Second Molt, A Success"

Do you have an ISO tank? you can move the trouble maker in there for a day and offer high protein foods to him like cooked chicken, ground beef and pork. also a shrimp with shell on, blood worms, krill ETC. if they have these things in their diet they are less likely to eat their friends.
    Are you sure the crabs are still buried there? My crabs go down one place and come up on the other side of the tank, I swear there is a whole subway system down there I cant see.
    are they near the heater? that is my crabs fav. place to dig so he just might be trying to get cozy. offer up some of the stuff I listed above along with some crushed egg shells and cuddle bone for calcium, if you have molters you need to be offering that stuff daily now anyway.

3. Missy

Missy (Micro Crab)

I think he is trying to get cozy since the UTH is there. If i look at the underneath my tank (which i had to do to look for Manny my big crab) and two of them are almost at the very bottom of the tank you can see a little hole/pocket and them sitting just slightly above it.

I moved him over so he wouldn't end up digging right on top of the others. He got a little annoyed left and came back and immediately dug himself under the big water bowl. Kinda cute to watch, I think he has really bad PPS and needs a lot of personal time. He came from a really cold tank with about half an inch of substrate and some dry lettuce and tap water. I'm working on getting food from the addiction store. I was wondering if it were okay to substitute out anything with worms in it? I'm awfully terrified about worms and don't think it would be a good idea for me.

I only iso'd my two new members for about a day and let them go to the main tank. Perhaps that was the wrong move. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.