1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Damn impulses!

Discussion in 'The Welcome Rock' started by CrabCurious, Feb 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CrabCurious

CrabCurious "Never Molted"

Hi, I have been interested in hermit crabs for a while, and have been reading up on here a lot. Everyone is so knowledgeable and helpful! I have been in the process of setting up a 10 gallon tank and yesterday I went to find some finishing touches... and got 3 hermies (all pp's)! I meant to wait untill everything was in order. I meant to just see what it was like to hold one, see what they had availible, and come back later to buy them. But I lost control, I wanted little ones, but most of the ones they had were golfball sized and up.

I saw one small one on the netting, when they got it for me it went in it's shell and wouldn't come out, but I ended up getting it anyway, I also got one of the medium ones because he was so colorful-a rich purple/red and active and he croaked at me once when I picked him up! The last one I got I actually thought was just a shell untill I tried to move it (there were a bunch in a heap!) and then she stuck her legs out wanting down, this one is small too, but in a murex shell so she looks bigger.

For some reason I want to call the 2 smaller ones girls and the big one a boy... even though I have no reason to think that

On the drive the 2 bigger ones were active in the box and the little one stayed in her shell the whole time. Same thing in the tank, the big guy checked out the new pad, the murex girl followed him to his hiding spot in the back, while the little one stayed firmly locked up.

I had to go to work after I got them settled, and when I came home I got to see some activity from all of them, I placed a shell near the big guy in case he hadn't noticed them (he was in a painted one) and he immediately started checking it out! Once he changed I wanted to get the paint off his old one, figuring he might still want it, but wanting to make it nicer... he didn't want to let it go! I felt bad, but I took it away and (using the instructions from a post here) cleaned it off. When I put it back in he changed back into it, though he spent a long time thinking about it. Then he changed back out of it, and then he changed into a different new shell! He went back and forth between the 2 new ones and was still shopping when I went to bed!

The girl in the murex shell just ate and ate, both some commercial food and a little bit of apple. That is almost all she did untill I went to sleep.

And the little one finally came out! Although it was only to go hide in the hut :) Later I saw her near the entrance, slowly snipping off little pieces of it and eating them! (It is a "snack shack" designed for rodents, with alfalfa and honey). She is really cute with tiny little eyes, and she's pale, with a flush of red on her foreleg and a lavender claw.

Anyway, I am off to the store to do some shell shopping for them! Thanks for all the info I have learned from here, rather than having to learn from my own mistakes! I am sure the hermies thank you too!!!

2. vckums

vckums Moderator

Congrats!!! Ya gotta show pics.

I am in the bay area too, what city?

3. CrabCurious

Thanks Vckums, I live 15 min from Monterey. How about you? I love your online site, I will have to get some stuff from you!

Maybe I can borrow my boyfriend's cell phone for pics, don't have anything digital myself! Maybe tomorrow I can get some.

My crab in the murex changed into one of the shells I brought home, a pretty green turbo, and has stayed in it at least half the day, unlike the big guy. He didn't like anything I brought home, but I didn't find much in his size, or the little one's size. Need to try the craft store, then maybe I'll order online, I prefer in person though.

He is in a 1 1/4' by 3/4"
    The middle one is in 3/4" by (just over) 1/2 "
    The little one is in a 1/2" by (just under) 1/2"

4. Itsy

Itsy "Second Molt, A Success"

that is great with the little one try sitting her on your hand without moving it for about half an hour the warmth will stimulate her and make her want to come out and eventually she will come out on her own. Just give her time!

5. CrabCurious

She is getting more brave, today I put my hand in the tank without her retracting into the shell! And a few minutes ago she changed shells for the first time! I went to Bed Bath and Beyond with my mom and got a bag of shells, she chose a little green turbo (not sure if she likes it though) and the big guy changed too!

I got some pics with my man's phone... maybe I will post them tomorrow (if I figure out how) as it is a little late tonight.

6. CrabCurious

So I haven't figured out a name for my big guy... he is a beautiful rich color and a scaredy cat. I haven't discovered the proper name yet.

I named my middle one Hippo because I have seen her eating so much, and my little one I named Violet (as in shrinking violet).

I want to get a couple more, the tank doesn't seem friendly enough yet!

Today I got a good pic of my biggie, and have posted tank photos in the gallery :D.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.