1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dailyseekr

Discussion in 'The Welcome Rock' started by dailyseekr, Jul 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dailyseekr

dailyseekr Hi, I'm New Here!

Hello. I joined this morning with a 9-1-1 post, and thanks to the moderator for the assist. I couldn't afford an aquarium large enough for all my new friends, but I did find a large storage box in my twins' closet that seems to fill the bill. So far only one casualty, surprising since my son brought 12 home in a styrofoam cup with about 2 inches of water. :eek: I know absolutely nothing about hermit crabs (except that getting started is kinda pricey), so I may have a lot of really dumb questions. I sure have enjoyed reading many of the postings today--hermit life is a world I never dreamed I was missing.
    Anyway--all but one of the crabs seems to be doing ok. I didn't much know what to feed, but after reading some of the posts, I opted for tuna fish, an egg yolk w/crushed up shell and a (sadly) dead pet fish that we had had for several years that evidently passed away sometime this a.m. They scarfed up EVERYthing in there. So if eating is a good sign. . .
    One question though--the sand that I bought--I read somewhere that it should have the consistency of sand castle sand--how much water should I add to do that? I don't want to make it too moist, but I'm afraid it's too dry right now. But they do seem very happy to finally have some sandy ground beneath their little toenails.

2. keris hermies

keris hermies "Third Molt In Progress"

Just mist your tank atleast once a day!No tap water you can find bottled water @ gas stations.:) Also I think that if you put water in the sand it will go to the bottom (Atleast it did for me.I had half fish pebbles half sand.Still do until I buy some eco earth.)Hope it helps.

3. dailyseekr

Dumb question--what are "fish pebbles"? I have been using tap water but I think that's ok because we have a housewide water purification system that removes all chlorine. ?? At least I hope it's ok. And I'm still confused about the water--can I put TOO much in ? Sorry for the ignorance :confused: but I really do want to make them as comfortable as possible. Thanks for the help.

4. hawkins07

hawkins07 (Micro Crab)

Fish pebbles are the little rocks that are colored and that you put in fish bowls. THey are good for hermit crabs as well. HOwever the Eco earth stuff helps keep humidity in and the hermies like it a bunch too!

5. silver616

silver616 "Preparing For Second Molt"

Fish pebbles are the rocks used in fish tanks and they are not good for hermit crabs...rocks can "bleed" (colors run), the crabs can't bury in them, and the rocks can irritate their abdomens.
    As for the sand...I do not add any water to mine, as the humidity increases and you mist the crabs the sand will become damp on it's own pretty quickly.
    I don't know about the water situation, but if you have a purification system I'd assume it's ok.
    Welcome, Enjoy, and Good Luck!!!

6. keris hermies

My hermies burry in the sand all the time.They dig down farther in the pebbles than they do the sand & I have more sand.

7. silver616

silver616 "Preparing For Second Molt"

Ok, I stand corrected...they can bury in the pebbles, but it's more difficult and not as comfortable for them.

8. keris hermies

True silver I should'nt have them I know and as soon as I can get a ride of to a petstore I'll get some ee.(eco earth.)Sorry if I offend you.:)

9. heather77

heather77 (Micro Crab)

The sand castle consistency sand that you are mentioning is for a molting crab in an ISO (isolation tank) they mention that because the mositure in the sand will help keep there skin moist so that they can molt a little easier. (probly debatable to some but that is what they are talking about when you read about the sand castle sand). Incase you want to know how much water you would just slowly add water a little at a time intil you could build a sand castle out of it (other words it would stand and hold shape) For a regular tank you do not have to moisten or wet the sand. Like silver 616 said the humidity in the tank will eventually mositen the sand to a comfortable environment for them. I also have to agree that you would want to use sand over the fish tank pebbles that are used for fish. There are places in my tank where the sand is really dry and some of my crabbies preferr it. Hope that Helps

10. dailyseekr

Wow everybody is so helpful--thank you all so much. Last evening the crabs had begun staying in one place--I even thought another one had "passed on", and I began to panic. But I picked up the one I thought was dead (and it was pretty stiff), very slightly moved when I touched its leg. So I wondered if they were going dormant because of the coolness in the house. So I moved them to a hot room, and sure enough, they are all up and about now :-D.

11. keris hermies

If a hermit crab has passed you would smell it.Often called the "death smell" Also do not put your hermits by any air vents cold or hot.Also if you don't have any uth lights (Under tank heaters) I would suggest you get one A.S.A.P for heating or flukers heat lights.:)

12. msdiamonddawg

msdiamonddawg "Third Molt In Progress"

Do you have temperature and humidity gauges? They are so very important to have. There is no way to tell what they are without them and it really needs to remain consistant at all times.

13. tengo cangrejos ermitaños

tengo cangrejos ermitaños (Small Crab)

Humidity should be 70 - 80% and temperature should be mid 70's - 80ish.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.