1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cypress Wood

Discussion in '~HCRU Hard Drive~ - Carved In Stone' started by Kali_Ma, Dec 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kali_Ma

Kali_Ma (Small Crab)

I ordered some cypress driftwood from Black Jungle Terrarium Supply and then realized that I didn't know if it was crab safe or not (crayfish swim around it, so shouldn't it be?).

I want to ditch the grapevine before it molds, and cypress is very mold resistant.

Anyone know if cypress is safe wood or not?

Kerie

2. Ally

Ally (Micro Crab)

I haven't heard of it being bad. I have some in my main tank. The general rule is, if it's safe for aquarium fish it's safe for the crabs. I did search to see if I could find anything more concrete than that, but couldn't find anything.

3. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

A few of the articles I have found indicate that it is a conifer-which I am fairly certain I have read should not be placed in the tank with the hermit crabs. I will verify this info and let you know. For now, I would hold off putting it in the tank until concrete info is found.

http://www.christmastrees.co.nz/trees.htm

okay, I did find some posts that indicate that the cypress wood would be a no no for the crabitat. Conifers are resinous trees that give off an odor that will irritate the crabs. I also read that pine oil was used as an insect repellent ages ago, and any type of flower/plant/wood that repels insects should not be used with crabs.

Maybe someone with a bit more background in this area can help.

4. Ally

Ally (Micro Crab)

The Lawson's cypress in your link is not a true cypress. The cypress wood that we see in the pet trade is from the kinds of cypress that grow in the Everglades, from the genus taxodium. They're a bit strange..classified as conifers, but have many deciduous characteristics, including the loss of their leaves in the fall. The only use of resin I could find is resin from the cones. The wood that is used as tank decorations comes from the "knees" which are located at the roots.
    One more interesting site.
    http://www.treeguide.com/Species.asp?Region=NorthAmerican&SpeciesID=1066

Wendy, I think you enjoy researching stuff as much as I do. [​IMG]

edited because I spelled cypress wrong. doh

5. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

Cool Ally! You are fantastic [​IMG] I was having a heck of a time finding info about cypress trees. The ones I found on dogpile indicated it was the Cupressus Macrocarpa (the one above the Lawson's in my link) and had it listed as a coniferous tree. I would like to know exactly what kind blackjungle carries, but from what you have found, it sounds like the one they are offering (cypress knee) would be alright.

So now I know what you are doing at 1 am...researching LOL

6. Ally

Ally (Micro Crab)

Well....I was a history major. I'm like you, I delve right into whatever captures my fancy and find out as much as I can as fast as I can. hehe.

For instance, according to CITES, the export quota of K. erosa from Africa this year was 620...one of them is the adorable tortoise I bought at Just Pets this weekend. Imagine finding that rare a tortoise in Irving of all places!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.