1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cuttlebone...

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Water' started by Mini.Mrs.Crabs, Aug 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mini.Mrs.Crabs

Mini.Mrs.Crabs "Preparing For Second Molt"

just to be clear, The cuttlebone you all feed to your crabs is found in the bird section right? I bought a big piece today. How do you serve it to them? Do I just stick the piece in the tank and let them scratch it up and eat it? Do I give a little piece to them every once in a while since they dont like the same thing everyday? Do I grate it up and sprinkle it on their food? :think:

2. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

IYou can do what you like. I put 2 in there about 3 mo. ago and they are still in there. I give them very fine coral calcium in there bowl egg shells and some calci-sand in a little pile. Along with there diet they should have all the calcium they want. If they want it they will eat it.

3. Mini.Mrs.Crabs

Mini.Mrs.Crabs "Preparing For Second Molt"

But someone once said that crabs wont eat anything they've smelled 18 hours ago, so won't they not eat the cuttlebone if I leave a big piece in there until they eat it??

4. Sarah The Hermit Crab

Sarah The Hermit Crab "First Molt In Progress"

You can just leave it in there,I's not going to go bad.And if they are needing calcium they will eat it regardless if they've had it recently or not.
    :hermzpoo:

5. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

Yep! A lot of people leave the cuttlebone pieces in there the whole time. Now, a whole cuttlebone is a lot to stick in there, but you could maybe break it up into somewhat smaller pieces and stick them in there and just replace them when they're gone. They'll always eat calcium when they need it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.