1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Custom Corner Docks

Discussion in 'Product Reviews.' started by vckums, Mar 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vckums

vckums Moderator

Everyone knows how the turtle docks are no longer being made. Well it got me to thinking, why not make some that are almost like it!!! So I did. I made a protoype and sent it off to a customer to try out. She loves it! I am going to do pre-orders on this as they take a few days to make and dry.

The dimensions are the same as the previous turtle dock. 91/2 inchesx13 inches x2 inches deep. It's made of clear plexiglass and aquarium sealant is used to make it hold together. Holes are pre-drilled for suction cups. The turtle docks went for $15 but since I can buy the plexiglass in big sheets I get it for cheap. The corner docks I make are priced at $5.00 plus S&H and will come with dry reptile moss.
    Here's the pictures.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, one other thing I just thought of. If you have aquarium glue and want to save on S&H costs, I will ship you the dock in pieces. (can be shipped in a bubble envelope pretty cheap) and you can put it together when it gets to you. Please make sure to tell me this when you order.

2. jengstro

jengstro (Micro Crab)

That is an awsome idea Vckums!!! You are a thinker!! I believe a few of those will be in my future!! I love how it still has such a natural look!:)

3. vckums

vckums Moderator

Thank you Jengstro! Im also trying to see if I can get some flat corkbark. Maybe put a strip of it across the front of the dock. Hermies can eat it and it will give it an even more natural look.

4. Itsy

Itsy "Second Molt, A Success"

thats awsome and so easy! I might try and make one myself.

5. vckums

vckums Moderator

If you try to make one, be sure to get blades for cutting plastic. We tried it at first using a reg blade my hubby had in his electr saw and it just tore it up. Same with the drill bit for the holes, get ones specifically made for plastic. They are a bit expensive but they will last. Use thick plexiglass too, it wont snap as easy.

6. msdiamonddawg

msdiamonddawg "Third Molt In Progress"

Vicki, those are great! Wish you had been making them before I got my second level! Much nicer than a shower caddy! LOL ...

7. vckums

vckums Moderator

lol you can smack me around :D

8. Hermie's rule

Hermie's rule "Second Molt In Progress"

I'm going to make myself a second level using legos. I'm na fill it with sand a place their hut on it!

9. nancy

nancy "Preparing For Second Molt"

No, you didn't have them when I needed a moss pit either! I guess I'll live with the shower caddies. Great idea, though. Moss pits are great for helping maintain humidity and the crabs can munch on the moss, providing them with another source of sea salt if desired. Good thinking.

10. msdiamonddawg

msdiamonddawg "Third Molt In Progress"

We'll both have to smack her around Nancy! LOL ... :D

11. vckums

vckums Moderator

LMAO!! You two are too funny! You can send me to my room!! I'll go willingly!

I'm going to have hubby help me make some today. I'll PM Jason and see if it's ok to use one for a prize for one of the contests. Hows that sound?

When I had the 120g tank, I couldnt find anything big enough to hold the jumbp crabs for a moss pit. I was walking around in the petstore and was going through the dog aisle and came across this big thick plastic dish. I'm holding it and staring at it. Hubby comes up and goes "we don't have a dog". I said no we don't, but can you drill holes in this? LOL I had him drill holes all around the sides and filled it with the wet moss. It worked perfectly! The jumbos loved it. They used the holes in the plastic to climb up into it. I also had a piece of choya leading to it and some vines. I might have a pic still, if I do I will post it.

12. vckums

vckums Moderator

Here it is. It's on the left side of the tank.

[​IMG]

13. hermiefun

hermiefun "Preparing For Fourth Molt"

hi ya vicki what type of wood are those branchs in your tank? they look so cool.

14. vckums

vckums Moderator

The ones standing up are sandblasted grapevine. The ones towards the back on the right is driftwood.

15. jengstro

jengstro (Micro Crab)

Gourgeous tank Vickums! Not to get off the subject of docks, but is that a real skull in there or a fake one? I have a smaller one that would look awsome in my tank. It is completely cleaned (I wouldn't have it in my house if it wasn't) and has been bleached, could I put it in mine if I boiled it first?

16. vckums

vckums Moderator

It's fake. Is yours real? If it's totally clean I don't see why you couldn't put it in there. I know someone put some real antlers in their tank when their husband would go hunting.

17. jengstro

jengstro (Micro Crab)

That antler idea is so wonderful too, my tat is my bedroom and it has a wildlife theme, with fish, deer, wolf, and bear, that would fit in so wonderfully, thank you!! I just can't believe I thought I was crafty, you should be the next Martha Stewart!! :D

18. vckums

vckums Moderator

LOL As long as theres no jail time:p

19. jengstro

jengstro (Micro Crab)

No, absolutely not, that is not what I meant! I mean your craftyness (if that is even a word,:)!! ) You have got a definate talent there girl!!:D Go with it!!!

20. jengstro

jengstro (Micro Crab)

Just an after thought, I wonder if the hermies would nibble on the skull (or antlers for that matter) for extra calcium?:confused: So I guess with either of them you wouldn't want to do that if it was something that you wanted to save.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.