1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

curious, why hermit crabs? what made you chose these cute lil guys for pets?

Discussion in 'The Sand Castle Lounge' started by marleyfish, Apr 26, 2011.

1. marleyfish

marleyfish "First Molt In Progress"

what about these cute lil guys caught your eye?
    was it the exoticism or the cute little eyes staring up at you that just scream pick me!

2. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

my stepson brought one home that his mother bought him and didnt tell me. In a glass vase with aquarium gravel. She bought him a dish with a palm tree, a hut,and a sponge.I already had a 10gal. in storage. That was it. So I got on the net to see how to take care of them and what they need.So I went right out and got some things and some sand. In the prosess I got 2 more. Got a 20gal and got 5more,cause they do better with company. That was over 3yrs ago.
        I think for me it was finding out how long they can live and wanted to give them a long and happy life even though they are in captivity.
    To this day I still have to turn my head away from them in the pet store. I fell so sorry for them and just want to take them all home.

3. Bugaboo

Bugaboo (Small Crab)

I had a 2 when i was younger, and of course had no idea ow to take care of them, and they ended up passing on=( then around 5 months ago i saw hermit crabs at petsmart, and i fell in love again. I started with 2 and now i have 10 and a 40g tank=) I look at those little faces and it makes me melt!=)

4. Rubetta

Rubetta Hi, I'm New Here!

I had hermit crabs when I was much much younger and loved them.  I have started settling down a bit and wanted cool pets again.  I got a 55 gal tank to deck out and rescued two hermit crabs.  It is a great start to an old passion.  They are loving life.  One changes shells everyday just because she can.  Before they only had smaller shells to try to shove themselves into and they were stuck in a tiny plastic container.  They now have their own raceway, swimming pool, and climbing wall.  I hope to add more crabs soon.  They are a blast to have around.

5. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I had no choice at first, my son bought 2 then decided when he left for college he wasn't taking them. I was scared to death to touch them, I used tongs to pick them up They were in a 5 gal tank, then I put them in a 10 gal tank and got a few more, one died. found a 29 gal tank at one time I had 5, lost 2 to post molt stress, now I enjoy watching the 3 of them, can't say they are not spoiled cause they have been upgraded to a 55 gal, got a deal on the tank but spent money on the stand, always buying stuff for them to decorate, looking for things to climb on. My girlfiend Joann just rolls her eyes and laughs at me now when we go shopping cause if I buy something she say what is that for? Your living room or?? I say nope it's for the crab tank or the library..

6. thetruechina

thetruechina (Small Crab)

I got started by the couple living with us came home one night that couple had left then we found out they had them in their room i jumped right online and found out how to take care of them. Now just waiting on getting a bigger tank and stand so I can get more.