1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crushed walnut shell subrrate?

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by shelbers91, May 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shelbers91

shelbers91 "Preparing For First Molt"

Hello everyone! I know it's been a while since you've heard from me and I do apologize about that. However I still have lyla hermie and pretzel, they are just larger and older lol. AnY one who remembers me knows they were last in a 30gal. Well they are not molting currently so I am going to put them in the 55 gal. My usual substrate is Eco earth and a moss Pitt. However I was thinking about putting sand or gravel in like 1/6th of the 55 by the salt water dish and my boyfriend knew I wanted desert sand and he went to the pet store to get me some. He fell for the "desert sand mix" packaging and label and got me a large bag that is 100% crushed walnut shells lol. No sand or dirt what so ever. Can I use this or should I return it? My fear is that it could be to sharp and hurt their soft abdomens. I've accidentally bit down on walnut shell bits before and it wasn't pleasant. Thanks so much for your help! Also if you have any suggestions for my beach effect I'm going for feel free to yell out stuff :D

2. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

:think: hmmmmm......some of the crushed walnut substrate is very fine like sand, and others not so fine. It is generally used for some types of reptiles, but caution is encouraged especially if they like to nibble on their substrate. It seems that although the walnut substrate has been ground very fine, there still are bits of it that can be rather sharp.

Myself personally I wouldn't take a chance. If sand gets in the hermit crab shell it may irritate
    the soft abdomen, but it's not very likely to cut or scratch them.
    There is the danger however of pieces of the walnut substrate poking or scratching or cutting the abdomen. Unfortunately you wouldn't have a clue to the possible damage because they keep their soft part covered by the shell.
    That was very nice of your boyfriend to do that though. :flower:

3. shelbers91

Yea that's what I was thinking. I wouldn't want them to have sores on their wittle bums lol. When I got lyla years ago there were 2 others (they were from horrible conditions in south Carolina.. One had pps and another I wasn't sure why he died until I took him out of the shell. The poor dear had a huge swollen mass on it's abdomen and I just couldn't see my crabbies having sores from shell bits.

Would you suggest sand for a beach or gravel? I always have the fear of sand collapsing on them and if under the Eco earth they hit gravel they wouldn't get to far right? :)

Thanks!

4. Mckenny

If you'll be putting your water and food dishes on the beach, I would use gravel like aquarium gravel, etc. Be careful when buying regular gravel because it contains some very sharp pieces in the mixture. If you don't want them to bury at all in the area, don't put anything inviting in there such as EE or sand. You'll still get the die-hard crab that will try, but most won't try to bury.
    I always keep aquarium gravel or stones in my food/water section because it stays considerably cleaner. I have mine separated by either plexi glass or a plastic container to keep the gravel in and the substrate out.

I'm not sure what you mean about the gravel under the substrate---please elaborate a bit more because I'm old and sometimes it takes me a while to comprehend. :chuckle:

5. shelbers91

6. Mckenny

The problem with not putting a barrier/wall between the gravel and the EE/sand is that they will deffinitly mix together. The gravel will collaspe and the EE will be drug into the gravel making it messy, etc. If you seperate the two, make sure your substrate is not even with the gravel because it will still get drug into it. I sloped my EE so it is lower and laid a piece of choya wood for them to crawl up on to get to the gravel area. This way any substrate they may be dragging with them will drop off on the wood and the gravel area stays clean. :flower:

7. shelbers91

Good idea thanks! I think I have plexi glass somewhere ^^

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.