1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

crocheting

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by vampressqueen, Oct 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vampressqueen

vampressqueen Hi, I'm New Here!

i want to add to my 10 gallon tank a partial 2nd lvl. i just have to find the right size container for that. so my crabs could get to thet lvl besides climbing the choya wood, i was thinking about crocheting something. The yarn i use is soft & is 100% ACRYLIc. Is that ok? or should i just forget that idea?

2. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

I wouldn't use that. You can pick up hemp at most craft stores and crochet with that. Hemp is naturally insect and mold resistant, and it's okay if the crabs pick at it and eat it (which they will do). You probably wouldn't want your crabs eating acrylic.

3. xAizaOnigirix

xAizaOnigirix (Small Crab)

Yeah, go organic hemp. Crabs love it! Vicki sells some great ones over at thecrabaddiction.com, so you can take a look at hers, and if you want to make one yourself, just copy it =] Remember, crabs are scavengers so you must assume anything that goes in the cage will go into their stomachs.

4. vampressqueen

vampressqueen Hi, I'm New Here!

i thoght all hempp was organic. Does it have to say organic hemp? learning new stuff every day.

5. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I don't know. I would just get the organic stuff but I would always use vickis stuff because it seems like she charges $4 for a hemp net that is $5 of material. I don't get how she makes a profit, let alone breaks even. :confused:

6. emmac350

That's (I think) at least part of why she does fundraisers like the raffles. She makes money from that, and other than that, who knows how she does. I used a corner net so it took up about 1/4 of my tank, just in one corner. Worked nicely too.

7. rugh1982

rugh1982 "First Molt In Progress"

why not build the 2nd level from a plastic container?
    Picasa Web Albums - roee
    i used 2 plastic containers attached to a plastic net i bought at the supermarket. used suction cups to hold the net in place, and the containers are held in place with small plastic restraints (dont know the name of it in english)
    i now have moss in the containers (it`s an old pic)

8. emmac350

In my 30g tank, my upper levels are constructed from (the original parts) a corner shower caddy and two different sized pencil boxes (like you used to have in elementary school). The shower caddy's suction cups were awful, though, and the hemp I was using to hang the pencil boxes was fraying pretty badly because everybody loved climbing the hemp, so I used silicone sealant and PVC pipe connectors (the ones shaped like a T) to hold them up now. The bottom of the T is facing outwards so it's a hidey for the crabs (filled the inside with coconut fiber) that's big enough for my bigger guys to get into, and, in the case of the pencil boxes, there's one under the big box and then one on top of that for the little box to sit on. I'll be posting pictures of the new setup today sometime if you don't understand my explanation.

9. strawberryskittle

strawberryskittle (Small Crab)

For creativity and fun? A little bit of sweat investment? ^_^ I wish I could crochet something. Or even knit something.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.