1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crawfish?

Discussion in 'Foods, Treats & Home Recipes.' started by zenoscribe, Apr 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zenoscribe

zenoscribe "Never Molted"

I bought a pound today & am not sure what to do with it - serve raw or boiled/ steamed? Should I freeze the unused portions raw or cooked? Do you smash the shell? Remove all traces of the liver like lobster?

2. crazeecrabber103

crazeecrabber103 (Small Crab)

Mmm crawfish....you can serve them anyway that you mentioned, just so long as there's no seasoning and they're nice and fresh.[​IMG] Not sure about saving the left overs....I kept shrimp in the fridge but I'm starting to think now that I should've freezed them. They smelled pretty bad.*blech*
    The exo is great for the hermies. You can shell the crawfish and serve the exo seperately or just mash it up into the flesh. They'll enjoy it either way.
    I have absolutely no clue what to do about the liver though.

3. crazy4crabs

crazy4crabs "Second Molt In Progress"

what about shrimp? if i crush and mush up shrimp can they eat it as long as its fresh? do i need to cook it 1st?

4. vckums

vckums Moderator

You can feed the entire crawfish to them. They are attracted to smelly foods, so I'm sure your stinky shrimp in the fridge will be devoured!

You can feed raw or cooked. I'd also freeze anything you aren't going to use. Remember they won't eat the same thing in a row. So when you feed them shrimp, don't feed it again for 4 days.

5. reader101

reader101 Banned

I can speak for lobsters...mmm, only when I get my share...native east coaster here...mine get theirs only after it being boiled in sea salt water. When dissecting, DO NOT give them anything in the brains area, especially red berry-type gel; "Berried" (pregnant females are not only illegal, but eggs not advisable). However...you will have to fight them for the delicious green "tomale" - partially digested food and organs, including liver, as this is what produces tomale. Kind of like conneuseur pate!
    Exo also is excellent, as well as legs and small joints you can't clean all meat from. (That is, if you can afford $16/lb!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.