1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CRABS SHELL CRACKED OPEN!!! Help?

Discussion in 'Emergency Care - 911.' started by HermitPaws, Jun 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HermitPaws

HermitPaws "Fourth Molt, A Success"

ok i was in Petco and one of the Employees was leting a 5 year old kid hold a crab. well the Kid throws the Crab Because it try to pinch him, and it shell Cracked open completly!!! the employee freaked out. i went over and was the only one out of 5 other works/people who who touch the crab!!!
    i pick up the Scared crab(Who was amazningly still alive!!!!) in one of their little Critter boxes and yell at the guy in charge. the guy let me take the crab home free!! its still a live and has been Crawling around in cricles in a ISO. non-stop for about 7 hours!!! Anybody have any idea on how to help him with his stress and get back in into a new shell???:confused:

2. keris hermies

keris hermies "Third Molt In Progress"

I can't belive that!There employs are not very adquit & some actually just about all don't know anything about hermit crabs just cats & dogs.Lol. You should problay leave it alone.& have lots & lots of shells in your iso.I hope he/she will be alright.

3. HermitPaws

well Last night he buried him self and started to molt. i also noticed hes missing a leg. hopefully hell make it through . i'll try and keep you posted.

4. HermitPaws

Well heres the update he didnt' molt like i thought but he choose a shell insted...... only problm is its panited. any idea on how to get him in a nother shell.... i don't know where the painted one came from ( i think my little brother put it in the tank)

5. Kyxoan

Kyxoan "Preparing For First Molt"

i found that they choose shells more easily IF they are in a hideout type thing a cocohut or a hermie hideout the whole enclosed dark thing makes them feel safer and more ready to change their shells.

I had 4 shells sitting in the tank (out in the open) for 2 days and i decided to put a random shell near the opening of the hermie hideout before i went to bed. I woke up the next morning and a crab stole that shell and left his old tiny one there. So i would try putting a shell next to his favorite hiding place to get him out of the painted shell.

6. HermitPaws

thanks for the tip, only prob, is his favrite spot is dangling from the highest and thickest stick in the tank.

7. msdiamonddawg

msdiamonddawg "Third Molt In Progress"

Now that would be interesting to see! :D

They won't change until they are good and ready. I know mine was in a small shell for so long. I kept wishing she would change. Eventually she did ... into one that was so big she couldn't even walk! One day she finally found one that was just right and all is happy!

Have a big selection available.

I would have a talk with your brother on the dangers of painted shells though ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.