1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crabs or Toads.

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by danofofano, May 18, 2011.

1. danofofano

danofofano "Never Molted"

Well I've had a lot of trouble keeping my crabs in the best conditions. (Heating, water, toys, food) So, I was wondering, since I've had a lot of experience keeping toads, should I give my crabs to someone who could keep them in better conditions and use my tank to keep toads> :dontknow: (since they are easier for me)  :froggz: or  :hermzpoo: ??

2. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I have an aquatic albino african clawed frog, I have had him for about 8 yrs or more.. and he is older than that when I  got him. He was a rescue mission. As easy as he to take care of, he still requires a lot of care to. As his age creeps up on him I watch his poor little body poof up with fluid, and the vet told me that he suffers from congstive heart failure :(
    I say if you think you are just not sure about he crab thing, then try the frog/ toad route!  They are just as cute and cuddley to! My frog sings! He sounds like he singing his name over and over, budugly, budugly, budugly,
    aquatic albino male frogs are the only ones who sing! so if you want a frog who sings you might want to check to see who does the singing, the male or female

3. LordRhal

LordRhal "Preparing For Third Molt"

I'm just wondering.. what is keeping you from giving them the good conditions? Are you losing interest in them? Toads/frogs aren't that much easier to take care of then crabs. You don't feed them as often but you have to change their cage a lot more.
    I believe you should think about why you aren't given the crabs the best care first.

If it's the upkeep of the tank, maintaining the right temp/humidity and such, then any exotic is going to bug you. Because they all need to be checked on to make sure their habitat stays suitable.

If you find the crabs boring, then a change of exotic might be a good jump start for you.

You just got to figure out why you're having trouble.

:straw:

4. danofofano

danofofano "Never Molted"

Well, I live in Alpena Mi and the closest pet store is in gaylord like an hour away, maybe more. That makes it hard to find the things needed for crabs. I love them very much which is why I am pondering giving them to a better owner. For the toads, I get northern toads from where I live so I don't have to worry too much on temp and Ive became kind of like an expert on toads.

5. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I live 45 min away from a private owned pet store, and an hour from major pet stores, if you get your conditioner{s} & salt{s} for the waters for the crab and some dried staple foods, some sand or e.e. you should be set for at least 6 months, this is when I usually do a deep clean and I use this to fill in when I take out some if I have some mold issue or clean out poop and take a little out here and there. you should be set until then because the crabs can eat so many things that we can with out the seasonings. But it is your choice in the end of what you want to do have crabs or toads, both require care. Good luck on what you choose for your pet.

6. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Actually Danofofano, I think you answered your own question.  We all have our preferences as to what kind of pet is best suited for us.  It sounds like both you and your Hermies would be happier with someone who will give them a great home.  :flower: