1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

crabs not moving

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by rugh1982, Oct 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rugh1982

rugh1982 "First Molt In Progress"

hi,
    new to the hobby.
    bought 3 crabs yesterday (1 i bought a week ago).
    i noticed that they are not moving in the tank. they just sit there, half out of the shell.
    last night around 9-10pm they started moving alot, running around and eating. is that normal?

here are some pics, if u have some tips i`d be happy to hear them
    roee
    http://picasaweb.google.com/rugh1982/HermitCrabs#

2. deedeeiam

deedeeiam "First Molt, A Success"

Crabs are nocturnal, so they like to come out at night.

Also they will need to distress and get comfortable with their new home. That takes a while.

3. cloie74

cloie74 "Second Molt, A Success"

It is important to have as little contact as possible with new crabs for about a month. They need to de-stress from the change in environments. Especially if they were kept in poor conditions wherever you bought them from.
    During the De-stress you may notice them only coming out to eat at night. You may also notice they bury themselves for a couple days at a time, this is them regulating their stress levels. Don't touch them and if they bury themselves dont dig them up. I am going through the same thing with my crabs right now, got them all less than a month ago but they are slowly coming around. They WILL walk around during the day when they feel more comfortable but they are always more active at night because like dee said they are noctournal
    Make sure you read the sticky http://www.hermitcrabsrus.com/forum...t-care/3913-i-just-bought-new-crabs-what.html

4. rugh1982

thanks guys :)

5. rugh1982

one of them (named GERSHON) has just started buring himself (he buried himself WITH the shell, do they do that also when molting?) so it`s a good thing u told me about it so i wont dig him out :)
    thanks

6. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever (Large Crab)

Hermit crabs bury themselves if:

A:They are stressed
    B:They are just having fun
    C:They are molting

7. cloie74

Yes, Hermit crabs dont go anywhere without their shells unless there is something wrong with them.
    So he should be burring himself with the shell.
    Like alex said they bury when de-stressing, just leave him be he could be down there a few days or a few weeks but it is IMPERATIVE you just don't touch them right now, just offer fresh water and food every day, salt water is very important as well.

8. Hermies4Ever

Yes, don't disturb him. And try not to peek at him. He will come back up when he is ready. That may be in a day or possibly a few weeks.

9. cloie74

I looked at your pics just a few things...how many do you have? That tank is pretty small, does it have a lid? Humidity is VERY important to the crabs, it should be about 75% you need a gauge so you can keep it consistent.
    They need fresh water (NOT TAP WATER) but purified or bottled water make sure it does not contain chlorine.
    They also need good salt water, Aquarium quality salt water do not use sea salt that you use for cooking or table salt it will kill them. Look in your pet store of Instant ocean or Natural Oceanic sea salt.
    The water needs to be deep enough for them to submerge past their eyes and needs to have something in there so they can climb out safely.
    They also like to hide so a coco hut or something like that would be helpful. Beware of the hidey logs that you get in the pet store, they are usually pine or cedar and will kill your crabs.
    Your off to an awesome start though! I was in the same boat as you got these cute little crabs in this little plastic tank with gravel substrate and thought we were good to go, by was I WRONG! lol

10. Hermies4Ever

Yup, same here, but after joining HCRU, and looking through the forums, I finally found out how to house my hermies properly. . .

11. rugh1982

cloie74:
    1. i have 4 little guys
    2. i now know the tank is small, and i`m trying to find a way to get a bigger one. the prob is that i live in a 1 bedroom apt with my gf, 2 cats and a 30 gallon aquarium. believe me, if i can get a bigger tank, i will :)
    3. i`ll get a gauge next week
    4. they have a coconut shell pool with declor` mineral water and aqua grade sea water. both are in submersion depth.
    5. in the next days i`ll get a hideaway. i made a really nice one from a coconut shell but it`s too big...
    6. keep in mind that there aren`t any hermit supplies in stores here. these guys are the first land hermits i`ve seen here, EVER... i cant even get a pooper scooper here :)
    i have good relations with the guys in the local fish store, so they let my put my hands in all the saltwater tanks and get all the shells i wanted, even gave me a fresh batch of sea water (from an aquarium salt mix)

thanks so much for your reply :)
    roee

12. rugh1982

in number 3, they have separate pools of course :)

13. Hermies4Ever

Of course!!! What do you feed your hermies???

14. rugh1982

whatever i eat. yesterday they got a salad (tomato, cucumbers, peppers, tuna, dates and nuts) today they got chicken meat, yellow melon and popcorn

15. Hermies4Ever

Sounds yummy. . .

16. rugh1982

yes, it was :)

17. Hermies4Ever

Hahaha. . . Heeheehee. . . Do you like coconut crabs and strawberry hermies???

18. rugh1982

i`m not a racist, i like all kinds :)

19. Hermies4Ever

Oh. . . Same here!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.