1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crabs like toys too!

Discussion in 'Kids Corner' started by shmama, Mar 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shmama

shmama Guest

:scream: Are your crabs frustrated & needing some entertainment? Try giving them crabby hula-hoops (a.k.a.: milk &/or spring water jug rings)! My small to large sized crabs tend to play with these regularly, placing them in thier doorways once they go into a hut or stacking up a bunch in one place. I use different colored ones & save new ones to replace any that get very dirtly or look sharp or warped...so they always have a fresh supply & never seem to tire of them. My large & extra-large straws showed absolutely no interest in them, maybe because they were not big enough for them to use them as hula-hoops! lol :dancebear:
    I also have added some of the real light weight shells & even a couple of marbles to roll around. You'd be surprised what these critters will play with. You do need to be careful about checking to make sure the toys are safe for your crabbies before trying new items. No metallic paint, flaking parts, too sharp anywhere?...etc.... & If you use any of those beach ball sponges, watch them closely because mine started eating those so I'm switching to all natural sponges in both tanks just to be safe. The natural ones are actually good for them to nibble on. :troll:

2. Crabaddict

Crabaddict Guest

I know what you mean about the sponges. My guys like to throw them off the second level extension, then continue to trample them on the ground! They also like picking at and eating them as well :petals:

I give them broken shells to play with too. My big ones like to chip pieces off and eat them.

3. MAD

MAD "PM Jason For Custom Title"

mine just swing off the cargo nets like they are tarzan, lol

4. i gave mine seaglass and they had oh so much fun! I have to try this milk ring idea...

5. iluvhermies

iluvhermies Guest

I bought at the dollar tree sink liners. They are plastic with little squares in them and I bought 3 to put across the back of the tank and they climb on them.

6. gotcrabs

gotcrabs Guest

heck my cat loves those milk rings. he'll play with them for hours, he's insane! maybe i could spare some for the crabs

7. So does my cocketiel! LOL!

Aren't you afraid that they'll get caught in the ring?

The other day, one of my larger crabs pulled the humidistat off the wall and the sticky adhesive stuck to his shell. I came home to find the humidistat in the upper tier...STILL ATTACHED TO HIS SHELL! LOL

8. gotcrabs

gotcrabs Guest

lol!!! :hahahaha:

9. vckums

vckums Moderator

Oh man too funny Wick!!!

10. shmama

shmama Guest

...that's so funny about the sticky situation you described!

I only put the rings in with the ones that are smaller & none of them have ever gotten stuck that I know of. I'm home most of the time & am also up at night frequently so I am always checking on them. I took out the seanets that I had in 2 tanks because I had a medium PP & a large straw both get caught up & twisted in them within a couple of days of putting them in the tanks. The hemp hammocks from the store here work terrific as climbers & the holes are plenty big for all sizes of crabs.

11. shmama

shmama Guest

:couch: I WISH I could've gotten a picture, but didn't: I hadn't seen any of my ruggies for about a week, so when I spotted one of the little ones scampering into the hut (The small ones are extremely shy & really quick), I looked in there with my red pen light that never seems to bother any of them like a regular light & 3 times the little booger held up a red clover blossom in front of himself & would peek over the top to see if I was still looking in. LOL! I was cracking up, but stopped because I didn't want to stress him out. My hubby was sitting there & I was laughing so hard at the little ruggie that he started cracking up too. I still am not sure which one it was, but it's a pretty resourceful one for sure! Now, I am anxiously waiting for my small straw, India & my newest ruggie, Mazy to show back up after 12 days in hiding upon introduction to the 50 g tank. I hope they are alright! I hate wondering if they will make it through the destressing period. ...but I had to share the ruggie peek-a-boo story, it was Too Cute! :shmama:

12. CrabbyChris22

CrabbyChris22 Hi, I'm New Here!

that does sound cute, too bad no pic. i'd have loved to have seen that one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.