1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

crabs in the bath

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by Donny (TMNT), Oct 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Donny (TMNT)

Donny (TMNT) (Large Crab)

Well, I read someplace on the internet that getting additional crabs has A LOT to do with bathing. Does anybody know whether to wash them in the bathtub, or in a big, plastic bucket? Also, do you put any special crab soap in the bath? Please help!

2. Hermies4Life

Hermies4Life (Small Crab)

well the only time that u really need to bathe a crab is a new crab going into the main iso. you should bathe them in lukewarm water in a plastic bowl. DO NOT use any soaps or anything when bathing hermit crabs!

3. Donny (TMNT)

Donny (TMNT) (Large Crab)

Thanks.
    I thought crabs were supposed to have a special hermie soap that doesn't hurt them.
    Now I don't have to wonder what to bathe them in anymore!

4. cloie74

cloie74 "Second Molt, A Success"

You can use a product called Stress Coat, API makes one, although it hasnt been proven to really make much diference so many people have stopped using it.
    All you need to do for a new crab when coming out of ISO going into your main tank is gently drop them into purified luke warm water, make sure that the water gets all the way into their shells and thats takes about 30 seconds tops.
    There really is no other reason to bathe if they have regular access to a GOOD salt water mix daily, in a container they can get in andsubmerge (Good salt is MARINE salt not the stuff with the little hermit crab on the package ;) )

5. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I use a small plastic container to bathe mine in, one at a time. I have two plastic gallon jugs that I use to store my water in. It's important to remember that hermit crabs can't tolerate chlorine and other minerals that are found in water. I treat my fresh water mix and my salt water mix with API Tap Water Conditioner. I have a well, but I still treat the water for the hermies. Some MARINE Salts that are good to use are:
    Oceanic--Red Sea--Instant Ocean--Catalina.
    I've used both Instant Ocean and Oceanic, and I like Oceanic better because it stays mixed with very little salt residue in the bottom of the jug.

The following is an exert from General Care in the Forum, written by Hermez:
    Sticky: I just bought new crabs what do I do now?

"...submerge the crab fully upside down in the 2x salt water.........they will either freeze up and hardly move or they will flip over and scramble to get out- you want to make sure the water gets way back in their shell and that they stay covered. When they are in the upside down position and they come out the water rushes to the back of the shell.........sometimes I will keep flipping them over as one time does not always work. Now some crabs may never come out- this can be a problem. You need to maybe do multiple baths or try the next day.
    I cant stress enough how important it is to check for mites. They will be so very very sneaky - I have had a crab bathed several times and still have mites - the more you listen to this advice the better off you and crabby will be.
    When the crab is now done the 5 minutes submerge you take him and put him in some fresh dechlor water." (in another container)

I also heat my bath water in the microwave for just a few seconds until it is just luke-warm. :)

Sticky: I just bought new crabs what do I do now?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.