1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crabs in my ballast

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by kuplakrabs, Jan 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

I have had the same 40w fluorescent light over my 75 gallon tank for the past 2 months. Most of the crabs enjoy sitting on the cork bark way up high under the light. In the last 3 days, I added some additional "second levels" so they could have more room to bask under the light if they wanted to without all having to cram onto the same pieces of bark.

Well, they have been climbing directly up into the ballast (housing) of the light and stay parked there for the entire day. I would understand if the tank were cold, but it is at a steady 75 degrees...what in the world are they doing? Any ideas?

2. pblove

pblove (Micro Crab)

Maybe it is just the lure of a "new" place to hang out?

3. Kali_Ma

Kali_Ma (Small Crab)

Is there any way you can keep them out of there? Ballasts emit weird radiation and also have toxic chemicals in them.

Maybe they're trying to phone the mother ship.

4. kuplakrabs

Greeaat...I have a bunch of alien crabs aboard my ship LOL. I hope they don't start developing another set of eyes..LOL

I guess I will have to move the little levels that I put in for basking. I thought it odd because they seem to desperately want to get up there. I try to take cues from my crabs when I notice odd behavior. My only thought is they are saying, "YO, could you crank up the heat here-I'm cold". 75 is certainly not too cold. Although, I do have to say when we got that really cold spell about 4 or 5 days ago, I couldn't get our house above 68, but only for one day and the tank stayed at 70. Maybe they are just trying to get their core temps back where they belong. Hopefully this silliness will end soon.

Kerie, I will see what I can do about keeping them out. I had thought about putting a piece of plastic canvas there so the air can still circulate and keep my humidity in check.

eeek, what kind of wierd radioactive things is my light emitting? [​IMG]

5. Kali_Ma

Kali_Ma (Small Crab)

I'm not sure -- my husband does contracting and he always talks about the ballasts and the radiation they put out. The idea of crabs having access to somewhere they might get hold of live current just gives me the creeps.

Why are these little dudes so weird? Between my highdiving strawberry and your electrocrabs, we have the beginnings of a great sideshow act.

6. kuplakrabs

LOL [​IMG] Electrocrabs !

7. kuplakrabs

A few nights ago I bought a moon glow bulb. It has been aimed at the outside of the tank in one corner and wouldn't you know it, there are at least 10 crabs at all times in that corner. I have been checking the temp constantly and have 3 different thermometers in the tank-it is at 75 degrees steady. They must still be cold [​IMG]

Now my husband has a new task-he is building me a combination light fixture for the tank so I can have my fluorescent and my incandescent bulbs in one fixture. He is going to put a rheostat on the incandescents so I can adjust the heat output accordingly-what a guy [​IMG]

I know I can just buy one, but it doesn't fit into my budget right now and he has all of the supplies in his supply trailer....I just wonder how long this is going to take LOL [​IMG]

8. pblove

pblove (Micro Crab)

NIce guy!!
    Hope he gets it done before winter is over-lol
    I had to get one of those radiater heaters to put beside the tanks, it is very cold and windy all the time here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.