1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crabitat HELP!!!

Discussion in 'HCRU Crabitat's - Biography's Of Our Crabitats' started by crabbiepants, May 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crabbiepants

crabbiepants (Micro Crab)

Ok everyone I have I think 3 small and I mean really small rugs I think I will post pics of them later and 2 medium and 1 small pp I think again pics asap. I bought 2 10 gallons took a glass cutter and cut a hole in the bottom of one for air and for me to access the tank, then I stacked them, like 20 bucks cuz tens are relatively cheap. Then I used a corner shower organizer to make levels and construx and choya wood for them to be able to get up there. Then on the opposite side of the top ten I put a basket full of shells for them all different sizes. Everything has been boiled in sea salt dechlorinated water. I have like 6 inches of sand and eco earth in the bottom which is at sand castle consistency for them to dig. I have a big food bowl and 2 relatively deep water pools on sea salt and one without both dechlorinated I put a shell and a sponge in them so the little ones to get out but the medium ones to get enough water into their shells I have seen them in there at least 3 times. I have ivy and I ordered the coco fiber climby stuff and a net to put in there I have a red light that keeps temp at 80 F at top and 76 F at the sand. Humidity stays between 75% and 85%. My only thing is that I don't think I am using the right moss I have been to the lizard section in four pet stores trying to find it. Any where else or any other kind of moss that will work? (maybe the kinds at your local craft store) Also am I at max limit of hermies??? Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you...

[​IMG][​IMG]

You can see Dewie on this ledge he is my biggest well Hewie and Lewie are the same size.

[​IMG]

side view of bottom the bottom has sand and water bowls and food bowls

I know the pics are bad but I have a crappy Digital camera really old...

[​IMG]
    front view of bottom tank

Well like I said I have more stuff coming in this week so I will post more pics taken with a better camera and post them soon

My digital camera isn't getting good pics of the hermies so I will get them on here asap. Thanks again...:D

2. heather77

heather77 (Micro Crab)

I think your tank is really nice. I wouldnt mind seeing a picture of how they are stacked. Also how did you get the hole in the bottom of the top tank. My husband has been researching moss. he wants to put a moss level in our tank. He told me the moss at micheals would work. It's real moss. It comes in different size packages. I am not the one that was reserching it but he was on the puter on the crab addicition forum site for a long time getting tank ideas and finding out what we could use and what we needed to stay away from in our tank. I am not sure of the name of it, ( hopefully some one else will be able to tell you if not I will see the next time we go to micheals) I just remember looking at it and considering it but wanted to wait to make sure it wouldn,t hurt the crabs.Hope that helps cant wait to see more picks of your tank... I need to post mine lol..

3. crabbiepants

I have been using the Naturals Floral Moss it is not Spanish moss that is brown it is the green moss I asked the guy at the specialty store I go to and he said he didn't see any reason that it would hurt them. He just told me to put it in a pot of hot salt water and let it simmer not boil. So I did that and it got all of the nasty stuff out of it and left the green parts and I have one hermie that won't leave the spot with it. I just got my stuff from thecrabbagepatch today and it made everything alot more natural I am going to get more pics developed from some film camera's and I am going to get them on cd at the store so that I can put them on here. The biggest thing I noticed with the new stuff I got is that they are all but one on the coconut fiber climby thing. Its like a flat sheet of coco fiber and you can get them at any pet store but thecrabbagepatch sells the ones that fits the 10gal perfectly and the pet store ones are small.

I used a glass cutter, it is a little rotary cutter. You could always use a hammer and bust the bottom completely out cut the silicon first and pop it out and you could put a mesh wire screen on the top of the second tank. **When you cut the bottom you have to score both sides of the glass and cut through the middle so that you can tap the glass with the back of the cutter and it will come out is pieces other wise I don't think it will work.**

I work in stain glass so I had one laying around so it was easy for me to use. You can normally get them at craft stores from 10 to 20 bucks and hardware stores have them a lot cheaper. After I cut it I put regular tap oover the sharp edges to protect me when I reach in there. I am working up a door thing I think I am going to build a door for the top and silicon the hinges down to the top instead of using the basket.

NEW pics coming I promise... TTYL Amanda

Last edited: May 30, 2007
  4. jeswwjd23

jeswwjd23 (Small Crab)

i use moss i find in the Petco repti section called, Beaked Moss. my crabs love that moss, they are always hiding in it.

and yes i would also like too see how you stacked your tanks. i am looking into getting another 20 gallon and thought of getting smaller tanks and stacking them that way, when i move again in the next 1-2 years, it be easy to take apart and not take up so much space in my car. , but i don't know how to secure them so they wouldn't topple over. and advice would help as to what or if you use anything to secure the two tanks together. thanks jess

5. vckums

vckums Moderator

Id like to see pics too. One thing to remember with the amount of crabs per tank, is that you need suffucient room for them to bury. So you may have a tall tank, and that's great cause they love to climb alot, but you need to have enough room for everyone to bury should they decide to do a mass molt on you.

Any reptile moss is safe. I nuke mine for 1 minute in the microwave to make sure nothings alive in the moss. Spanish moss isnt safe for them, so if you get it at a craft store make sure it's not that kind and that it isnt dyed. Some are dyed green so check carfeully.

6. Crabbybeach

Crabbybeach (Medium Crab)

Yeah I think we need pictures

7. crabbiepants

I will be adding pics it only allows 4 per post so I have a few. I am adding some more Eco Earth and sand tomorrow because they have packed it down there was about 8 inches when I put it in there but now there is about 4 inches so I will be putting more in there I have alot that is already mixed up.

The moss I am using is natural moss it isn't died and it isn't spanish moss I am going again this week to look at a few more stores for the reptile moss you spoke of. But until then here are currant pics.
    [​IMG]

This is a pic of the ledge for the hut basket and this is where I put their food. All made with toys lol. I could also use legos but these are called construx that my boyfriend had in a closet.

[​IMG]

This is a pic of the set up. The corner bathroom organizer was at Wal-mart for $5.88 and came with stickies to put it up with. I use a little canvas to cover the drain holes in the bottom of the organizer. I take it out and wash it off every week but I cover the canvas with crushed shell and use the first level for shells and the second level is a lot of foliage for them to hide in.

[​IMG]

Close up of the organizer and you can see Hewie on the top.

[​IMG]

This is looking down inside of the crabitat. Well more pics in the next reply.

8. crabbiepants

[​IMG]

Hewie on top of grapevine.

[​IMG]
    Ned on the construx bridge.

[​IMG]
    You can see Dewie and Lewie eating here.

Another shot of the lower part of the tank. They have a ton of sand to run around on under the ledge.
    The only other pic I have is upside down lol. Like I said my camera isn't very good but these are the pics I took yesterday.

I am putting more sand in again this week probably tomorrow. Oh an you can only see one temp thing but I have the humidity and other temp one right beside the bathroom organizer.
    I have tried to do what everyone has told me on here. I am slowly adding things to make their lives better including I am looking for a bigger tank on craigslist.com and in thrift stores.

I would appreciate any thing else anyone could tell me to do.:)

9. crabbiepants

They are next to the fish tank so I think that helps with the humidity in the air. Plus Hewie and Dewie will sit and watch the fish swim around that is why I asked about feeding them live fish. They like to watch them all the time. I am still having problems getting a good pic of the guys but I am working on it. Thanks for all your help.:)

10. crabbiepants

As you can see jess right now I am using tape lol. but they sell these clips for the sides of tanks all of the stores I go to are out of them but I use tape I can easily take off so that I can clean the sand and change the water everything else I do from the top. A large tank like a 20 long you might have to add some kind of support in the middle like maybe a piece of plexi and then the crabs could use them as climbing support. Good luck and let me know how it goes...:)

11. Crabbybeach

Crabbybeach (Medium Crab)

Why do you need help again?

12. jeswwjd23

jeswwjd23 (Small Crab)

thanks crabbiepants! i have just got all the supplies in the past two weeks and and slowly getting the tank done. course i have been on vaca in NC the past two weekends so i have to catch up on making the stuff that goes in the tank. i have a month since my micro-teeny crabs are all in iso right now. they will be going in the 20L. but as soon as i'm done, i will tank pics and show everyone

13. vckums

vckums Moderator

I love the set up. You really used all the space you provided them with really well. Kudos!

14. crabbiepants

Thanks I just wanted to make sure that I was doing ok. Thank you everyone:)

15. crabbiepants

Awesome, Can't wait to see it...:)

16. crabbiepants

Oh and I got the moss from a pet store today so I put that in there today with more sand and Eco Earth. It looks the same as the other stuff I was using but I wanted to make sure it is safe so I got the stuff from the pet store. Thanks again...

17. heather77

heather77 (Micro Crab)

It looks really cool. I would have never thought of stacking two tanks on top of each other with the bottom out of the top one. Great Job!!

18. crabbiepants

well it was because of space constraints I didn't want to fill half the 10 gallons with substrate and leave no room for the hermies to climb. Plus with all the other animals we have in our 2 bedroom zoo I didn't want a 20 long because I have a 29 gallon with lizards in it. So just did what I had too. Well good luck and I guess I got all the help I needed if I have further questions I will ask. Thanks again everyone.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.