1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crabby Exercise

Discussion in 'Discussions, Theories and Trial Ideas' started by kcgirl81, Jun 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

I haven't taken them out for a while at this point (it's been fairly cold, and the apartment heat is set to 70F), but when I did take them out I would take them out a few times a week. I'd leave them in the Rubbermaid (together) for an hour or so. It was really nice to have the gym when I was doing my last deep clean - that way I could keep the ISO empty in case of any molters I might find.

One other thing - somebody asked if crabs have memories, and a study on marine crabs found that they do have memories. See this story for more details - http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe/03/27/crabs.memorypain/index.html?iref=allsearch.

On that note, crabs can be trained to come out when called by their names, so how could they do that without a memory? Or how could crabs become used to being handled if they couldn't remember being handled?

2. LordRhal

LordRhal "Preparing For Third Molt"

Hmm I should set something of the sort. how big was your gym and what did you have in it? nets and cholla and such?

3. LordRhal

I have a 10g high exo-terra tank, like the one trixie has but the mini version. Could I use that as a gym? I assume I wouldn't put any earth in it as I wouldn't want them to think of it as another tank. Nets, ladders and the sort? Do you mist your gym b4 closing the top of it?

Any other info on what your gym looked like would be appreciated ;)

4. Spiral

Spiral (Micro Crab)

You can get crabs to walk towards you if you call their name?!!!!!

5. LordRhal

yea but it takes times and dedication. The only crabber I've heard of that does that is on the hermitcrabpatch.com and she's had her oldest crabs 13 years.

6. LordRhal

hmm, ready older post, it seems a larger surface area would be better. I'll see what I can come up with :p

7. emmac350

Mine's the biggest Rubbermaid under-the-bed storage container I could find. I also bought a pack of plastic craft sheeting (it's like a big plastic mesh) and used some hemp to make climbing stuff out of and to cover the bottom for better traction for the crabs. I made a tube that stands on its end (just rolled the sheet into a circle and used a big tapestry needle to run the hemp through it) like a smokestack (it's great in case you get a shell fight or something similar, you put one in the tube and eventually he/she will climb out). I also kind of hacked together a table sort of thing - cut a sheet into thirds longwise and 'sewed' them into an arch with a small piece in the middle to hold it open. Honestly, though, very few of them climb on any of it - they spend all of their time trying to climb the sides of the Rubbermaid, only to fall back down. Kind of like watching someone run on a treadmill only to end up in the same place they were before. If they're in it for more than an hour they will start exploring, but they are getting exercise so I let them be.

I do mist the air around the exerciser, but not the thing itself (I'd be afraid it'd mold if I put the lid back on it after they were done exercising).

8. LordRhal

wouldn't moving them to a rubbermaid every few days stress them out though? Some of mine are still scared of me when I pass by, I would think that if I moved them out every few days, they would be scared of me more. then again, maybe that's just me

9. emmac350

They get more used to it when they get handled like that. I still had a few crabs that would freak out when I handled them, but most of them got more and more used to being handled without any problems.

10. LordRhal

hmm well I think I will go get myself a rubbermaid then ;)
    So am I right to assume crawl space is more important than height for an exercise gym?

11. MoribundMaverick

MoribundMaverick (Small Crab)

Wooow! This was really interesting! I think some of my more adventurous crabs would definately love exercising in a little kid pool... I will have to pick one up when summer gets here. I wouldn't want to exercise them too soon anyways with it being so cold.
    But yes.. I have definately noticed that some of my crabs get "bored" with their surroundings. My crabs had been pretty lethargic for a while when I just had the four in my old 20 gallon, but when I moved them into a 60 gallon they were so excited with their new surroundings! They crawled all over the place, it was really cute. I also heard that one lady moves her decorations around once a month, and when she deep-cleans she puts in all new decorations. That should keep them from getting bored too easily!

12. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Climbing is also important because that is what they do in the wild. The tupper ware container would be like "going for a walk or an outing in the park". It's something different for them and breaks up their routine of the same old thing in the tank. :flower:

13. emmac350

I have both climbing stuff and room for wandering in my exerciser. They do a lot of climbing in the tank and I think that might be why they don't do it in the exerciser. However, my tank doesn't have quite enough room for as much wandering walk in the park sort of movement, so maybe that's why they go for that in the exerciser? I'm honestly not sure on that, I'm just theorizing.

14. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

I've had mine for 2 years and they still bolt for the nearest bush when I come in the room. I guess it's cause I don't handle them much at all.
    I picked up my larger crab a couple days ago because it came up from molting 2 weeks ago and I wanted to make sure it looked O.K. I picked it up by its shell laid out my hand and was gently putting her on the palm of my hand when I felt my hand start to pinch. It did'nt even give me time to let go of it's shell. I quickly pulled it away from my hand before it got a good grasp on it. If it did it would have cut my hand open and would have needed a stitch.
    I have been pinched 3 times and twice the only way to get it off my finger was that it took the skin with it. I'm sure it got a good taste of my blood and skin. I know it was because I did'nt have my palm spread out enough but give me a break.
    I'm sorry to say I'M AFRAID OF THEM!!!

15. MoribundMaverick

MoribundMaverick (Small Crab)

Don't worry, I'm scared of my big one, too!! I've never been pinched but he looks like he could take a finger off. I've heard one way to get them to let go of the skin is to run them under really really hot water. But I would think that would hurt your hand as well, lol. I just try to not get my skin near their claws!

16. emmac350

Don't try the run the crab under water thing. First of all, if you're using water out of the sink (as that's the only place I can think of to get hot water), you'll be exposing the crab directly to chlorine and all the other additives in tap water (which can cause blistering on gills and lead directly to death).

Secondly, if you shove a crab that's already afraid under a strong flow of tap water it'll be even more scared. Proportional to a crab's size, that sink's water flow is about the same as if somebody sprayed you with a firehose. If you've never been sprayed directly by one, let me just say it hurts. A lot. Putting a crab through that is going to scare it even more, which will make it want to grab on harder.

The best way I've seen work for getting a pinching crab off is simply to put your hand (and the crab) back into a familiar-smelling place (i.e. the tank). It will take a few seconds, but the crab will recognize the smell and let go, convinced that it is safe.

Then again, I've never successfully been pinched (knock on wood). I had one guy who was a few days post-surfacing from his molt try to pinch me, but I kept my hand tight. I then set him on the counter, counted his legs and made sure he was okay, and put him back into the tank. He's been handled since and hasn't tried to pinch again, but he's a big gentle giant just like the other one I adopted with him.

17. OneOnion

OneOnion "Preparing For Third Molt"

Well, he probably pinched you because he just molted a few weeks ago. They're much more protective of themselves right after they molt, so they pinch you when you pick them up because they think you'll eat them and they don't have a fully hardened exo. After they molt, you should put them on a bed or sofa or table, if at all, so that they won't pinch you.

18. LordRhal

So I went and bought the biggest rubbermaid I could find.. I think I went overboard lol I bought a few sheets of plastic mesh that I will silicone to the sides and makes it so they can adventure a bit. I put 4 of them in it yesterday and they seemed to enjoy it. I only left them in there 20 mins. I'll post some pics of what it looks like once I am done!

19. Pokétrainer Belle

Pokétrainer Belle "Never Molted"

I shut my day light off in the tank when the sun is going down, and a few hours after that if any of mine are out I put them on my bed and watch them crawl around for 10 minutes or so. I have noticed just from doing this every other day or so, that Frankie is definitely more active and is less shy around me, and also is more excited to eat every day. One of the smaller ones came out today (Thunder) and was still quite shy but crawled a bit I'll be watching to see if she comes out more also :D. Third one is still buried someplace :couch:

20. willow555

willow555 (Large Crab)

That's good! :thumbsup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.