1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crabby Exercise

Discussion in 'Discussions, Theories and Trial Ideas' started by kcgirl81, Jun 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kcgirl81

kcgirl81 "Never Molted"

I have been doing some research at the Crab Street Journal and Coenobita.org about exercise for crabs. Apparently, the research shows that crabs need generous amounts of exercise in order to grow properly and live to their fullest potential. Of course, in the wild, crabs travel a mile or three every night, searching for food. Now, obviously, even in the largest and best decorated crabitat, there is not nearly this potential for exercise.

My question, then, is this: Do you think it would be beneficial to give the crabs a nightly exercise time? I am very interested in this question, and have even tried a small experiment. Most of my crabs are down molting right now, but my largest crab has been up and about—before my experiment, I rarely saw her exploring, but mostly just sitting in her hidey. So I decided to see how she liked exercising out of the tank. I took her into the bathroom with me while I was taking a shower, set her on the floor, and let her roam around in the bathroom. After my shower, since the room was still steamy and hot, I pulled the door shut and left her in there for about 20 minutes. When I came back, she had climbed to the very top of my towel rack. This happened three times in a row, and I always found her at the highest point she could get to.

I also noticed that during this time, she became more active in the tank. Each morning, I would find her at the top of a different climbing toy. I also noticed that she was eating more during this time. My experiment was cut short, because she dug down, I assume for a molt. She’s about due for one.

So anyone, I would appreciate everyone’s thoughts on the benefits/problems with this type of approach. What would be the possible pros and cons? Do you think larger amounts of exercise would promote better health and growth?

2. Jedi_sena

Jedi_sena Guest

Carol of Crabworks (the gal w/ 2 crabs that she's had over 30 years!) lets hers out for nightly excercise.
    I am a big believer in excercise and this is why: when I had an E surface after a molt gone wrong I took him home and nursed him. I soaked him in supersalty baths and herbal baths throughout the day and at night I'd let him explore our front room. He lasted for at least a month in this condition, but ultimately died. I truly believe that exercise could have saved him had he not been so gravely ill. I think the mental stimulation of exploring made a lethargic crab perk up. The nights that I could not keep our routine seemed to result in worse lethargy the following day. Mine get out to explore about once or twice a week. I've had Tank for over 2 years and he is the one crab who takes full advantage of these exercise periods. You should write an article for the CSJ on this topic since the research is fresh in your mind!

3. starmaiden

starmaiden "Preparing For Fourth Molt"

I've tried exercising mine, but they didn't seem to like it. It just seemed to stress them out more than anything, so I stopped.

4. kcgirl81

kcgirl81 "Never Molted"

I'd love to write an article, but I'd like to do a little more research and experimenting first. So far the experiment has only involved the one crab, but I have some questions about what the cons might be--such as could already skittish crabs become more so from the handling the receive. Would the change in conditions affect them in a negative way, and if so how could this be overcome (exercising them in the bathroom, misting, etc.) If anyone has any firsthand experience, I'd love to hear from you!

5. Jedi_sena

Jedi_sena Guest

By all means, yes, do your homework...then write the article! That is really something I'd like to read about in the newsletter!

6. shmama

shmama Guest

:aargh: ....Same here, but now I keep staring in at them being kinda lethargic & feel even more guilty about keeping them locked up. :sad5: I would also be worried about them coming in contact with areas that may not have been rinsed well enough when using cleaners, or getting into something else dangerous, but maybe if I crab proof the small bathroom. I think my biggest guy, Zamb :straw: would be the one to try since he seems a little less shy than the rest & just sits & stares at the glass all day. Poor guy! :sleepingdog:

7. vckums

vckums Moderator

One member on CSJ uses a small hard plastic kiddie pool to let her crabs roam in.

8. shmama

shmama Guest

I LIKE IT! If I didn't worry about them getting parasites I'd just put a fold-a-way 3-sided cage top on the open grass when it is really humid outside here. Living on the edge of woods, we have a huge variety of insects & stuff here. The fleas, ticks & mosquitos are REALLY NASTY! That's why my poor bunny & cat are housepets only & the dogs are all constantly on Revolution. :troll:

9. NewlyCrabby

NewlyCrabby "First Molt, A Success"

I let mine room around the living room(under my eye tho :p) and my two smalls love it!

10. LilHermieOnes

LilHermieOnes "Third Molt, A Success"

We let our hermies roam around the house too :wub: . I have a picture of a group of our hermies climbing in and out of a doll carrier...lol! They love my daughter's toys! One of our medium sized crabs, Leo, likes to play with linkinlogs...we build little houses, then Leo starts to take them apart...lol.

Some of our smaller hermies like to roam around my daughter's My Little Pony castle. They are a lot of fun :wub:

11. green_sars24

green_sars24 "Preparing For First Molt"

i feel bad about keeping them in a tank too :sad5: so, i let the big one run around the living room at night (its hardwood, so i can hear where she's at) and the smaller ones play in the shower. BUT here's the thing - i got one of those collapsable mesh laundry baskets, like for kids' rooms, and i put them in there with a couple toys, put that in the shower, and shut the light off. the mesh holes are big enough for them to get their leg tips in, and they run around for about an hour a few times a week - mine eat really well, to!

12. I found mine more active when they got to roam around too. Mine hate my hamper though. I do question the bathroom. It is, of all places the one with the most germs. I would try another room. And always watch them!

13. kcgirl81

kcgirl81 "Never Molted"

Also the most cleaning fluids, if you're like me. I'm not sure I like the idea of crabs running around on recently scrubbed floors or bathtubs. I'm afraid the cleaners would be harmful.

14. pizzie

pizzie Hi, I'm New Here!

when I was little, I used to build playgrounds and mazes with blocks for my crabbie friends, now, when I am visiting, I take my crabs with me, and let my nieces build stuff for them to play on.

George thoroughly enjoys these road trips, and the revolving cast he tours with seem to benefit as well!

15. hermiesrokmysox

hermiesrokmysox (Large Crab)

i know this topic is kind of old, but its really interesting.

Has anyone started taking their hermies our more? I guess i should start experimenting as well. (but i can't for a few more days because i am painting my furniture and my poor babies are in a small tank in the computer room. :sad5:)

i like the kiddie pool idea, too, because there are inflatable kinds that you could store easily. :hermez2:

16. green_sars24

green_sars24 "Preparing For First Molt"

Lucky for the crabs, I'm sensitive to some detergents, perfumes, and dyes in cleansers (the stuff literally burns my skin) SO, I only use baking soda and vinegar to clean the house. :amie2: It gets the job done, and I don't have to worry about my babies getting into something poisonous :flower:

17. Sarah The Hermit Crab

Sarah The Hermit Crab "First Molt In Progress"

I wouldn't get the inflatable kind,If the crabs get scared they might accidentally pop it! :smallhi:

18. Crab*Fanci

Crab*Fanci (Micro Crab)

I've occasionally taken all my crabs out to roam in the living room. The walk a little then the just sit there. Maybe I'll bring them to the bathroom. I think I'll do some experimenting too. :yes2:

19. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

Marie (the woman Vicki mentioned as using the baby pool) swears by it and says that it fits under most beds. Recently, another member of the HCP forum bought a pool and some of those plastic craft sheets (they are plastic mesh) and made a bunch of climbing toys - she's noticed an appetite increase and more activity.

I don't have room under my bed for a baby pool, so I'm going to get the biggest shallow Rubbermaid that I can find and use it for the same thing. Most of mine are on the surface, so I can get them all out and in there.

20. vckums

vckums Moderator

Emma rubbermiad makes under the bed storage containers. They aren't real deep but they are long. That would probably be perfect as it would give them a lot of floor space to crawl around.

I don't take mine out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.