1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crabby Exercise

Discussion in 'Discussions, Theories and Trial Ideas' started by kcgirl81, Jun 13, 2007.

1. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

Yeah - I actually have that exact same setup, almost. I bought some plastic craft sheets and made a table out of them with hemp to hold it together and a tube that I stand on its end. The other sheets out of the pack are to help the crabs have traction on the floor. I've taken mine out around 5 or 6 in the afternoon for a week now, and the food bowl gets more attention and the three crabs that are out have been out at that same time every day. One even will climb onto the lid to get attention and, when I pick him up to set him back in the tank, doesn't want to climb off of me! It's awesome; he's so tiny, it feels like he's hugging my fingers.

Granted, most of what my crabs do is try to run up the smooth sides (it's like a crab treadmill!) but I put them up on the ornaments every so often. One of them has figured out that he can climb up on stuff, and does it more than the others. Before I take the crabs back to the cage (after 30-60 minutes of exercise) I put them in the tube and then take them back once they've climbed out and back down to the floor level.

The crabs are getting much more comfortable with being handled, too. I love it!

2. hermitlove

hermitlove "First Molt, A Success"

Hi everyone
    i exercise my hermits every sunday my pop made me and enclosuer that you put on the grass my hermits love it it also has mesh at the top so no other animals can get in. they love eating the grass and its really good for them!!

3. imported_Sterwick

imported_Sterwick "Preparing For Second Molt"

I tend to take my crabs for excercise out in the garden at summer. All they reall want to do however is look for shade under some grass. I really don't like the idea of putting them in a bathroom, not only the cleaning detergents but if you're having a shower, the mist builds up that remember has chlorine in. Our dog's no longer with us sadly, so there is less caution of letting them roam in my living room, but again there could be potentially harmful chemicals. Even vinegar could be a risk. After all, people do reccomend not to give the crabs highly acidic foods like lemon and tomato. Even outside they may encounter fertilisers and pesticides and other nasties. There's also the environmental change- lower humidity and temperature in the liing room. I let my crabs crawl around my hands for a few minutes and have noticed a difference- they tend to be more confident and get used to me- but i think it shouldn't go much further than that.

4. emmac350

I don't take my crabs out if the house is 70 degrees or less, and I mist the air where their exerciser will be to help with humidity. I haven't taken them out for a while, though, because of the cold-ish snap we're having here.

I don't recommend taking crabs outside in the summer - one person mentioned having an enclosure for their crabs where they could walk on the grass. And what happens if they dig down and you can't find them? You'd be surprised how fast crabs can dig if they want to. Direct sunlight isn't something crabs like anyway - they live in forests in the wild, not on beaches as you and I think of them as much. If they do go out on that kind of a beach (the sandy open type), it's only for a short stint and usually just at night to avoid getting eaten. Having a crab in a Rubbermaid container with climbing toys for an hour in the same room as their tank that is warm enough and has been sprayed for humidity isn't bad - they do seem to enjoy the exercise afterward - much more activity in the tank and bigger appetites. But keep in mind that no one is forcing you to do either way.

5. imported_Sterwick

"Direct sunlight isn't something crabs like anyway"- yeah throughout the day they do tend to like those 'shady spots'. I might take them out for excercises to see if they like it. I have done it before and put them in enclosed areas. They definately become more active, 'trying out a new place', I'm not sure really why I stopped to be honest.

6. OneOnion

OneOnion "Preparing For Third Molt"

This thread has been brought up from the deep many many times(note that the first post is in 2007), but since it's here,I'll share the problem I have.

Storm, my most adventurous hermit crab, always seems to want to escape. For hours at a time, she just walks back and forth at the front of the tank, trying to find a way to get across the glass. She pushed away plastic plants and decorations from the front of the tank so she could walk back and forth more easily. in fact, she walks back and forth at the front of the tank so much that there's literally an indent at the front, ranging from the left side to the right! I swear, I'm not exaggerating.

Anyway, all of this is pretty sad to me, because she looks so sad. But the problem is, when I take her out to explore, she always seems stressed afterward. When I put her back into the tank, she runs to the nearest hiding place and the next day she's buried, probably destressing. For that reason, and that I'm afraid that someone might step on her, or my dog will eat her(she tried once!), I don't take them out that much. But then she still tries to get out! It's craziness and it seems either way she's not satisfied. I don't know what to do. Luckily, I'm getting my own room soon, and the hermit crabs are going in there with me, so it'll give me a space where they won't be bothered. Then, I'll see if I take her out more she'll get used to it.

7. imported_Sterwick

What you're describing one_onion seems quite unusual. Are you sure it's just an active crab and likes walking around and climbing things? Is your tank the correct size/ do you have lots of hermies? It may be overcrowded. And the way it reacts outside may be because of all those dangers- the dog etc, mabye it sees the shadows and becomes stressed, just like you do worrying about it. How does she look sad one_onion- does it seem slow and sluggish or unwilling to let you play with her?

8. emmac350

In my experience, having a safe place for them to exercise in (like having a baby pool or Rubbermaid for them) is much better than just having them wander the floor. Both of those things have sides to keep the crabs contained and you can leave them be until it's time to put them back if you want. So they can be locked away from the dog and people to scare them so they can get somewhat less stressful exercise.

It took my crabs a bit to get used to it to, and it will take a bit for them to get used to it again when I start doing it after the winter, but they will get used to it and stop hiding for days afterward and start looking forward to it and coming out at the time you usually take them out.

9. OneOnion

OneOnion "Preparing For Third Molt"

Well, I thought Storm was stressed just because when I put her back she quickly ran away and dug down the next day. I have a 20 gallon tank with 2 mediums, 3 smalls. the 2 mediums 'RARELY' come out, so it's like a desert in there. But, when I took her out of the tank last night, when the dog and everyone was sleeping, into an empty room, and on a couch, she didn't seem that scared. She walked across the couch, onto a pile of clothes, climbed vertically down the couch halfway and onto the brim of a laundry basket, where she just kept walking around the brim until I put her back. The best part is, it looked like she didn't want to go down.  Now I think that the only reason she ran away when I took her out of the tank is because of all the noises and vibrations from all the walking around.

10. emmac350

Willow, that comment belongs in the Dragon Cave threads, not here. This thread is about exercise, not eggs.

11. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Just a note...if you need to give a quick shout-out to someone about a topic other than the one in the thread, just shoot them a PM (personal message) instead.

Actually when there is a statement made that has nothing to do with the topic, that is called "hijacking the thread".    :eek:ops2:

Just passing along a tidbit of info... :flower:

12. Mckenny

By the way One_Onion, you could try rearranging your tank a little and putting some different and more climbing things in there for exercise.  They can become bored with their surroundings and feel less challenged.
    Make sure your conditions are good as well.    :flower:

13. emmac350

Or at least move the food bowl around every night. I've had it on the topmost level in my tank for the last week or so so the crabs have to figure out how to get to it (they have to climb to one level then take that level's bridge to the other level to get at it). That way they're more challenged like Jellybean said, and it forces them to get more exercise.

14. Mckenny

Willow111, I wasn't at all upset with you about the out of place post.  I knew you were just trying to alert her about her eggs.

I was just passing along to "everyone" a bit of info that I had learned about forum etiquette.  Unfortunately It's hard to tell someone's tone of voice in writing a lot of the time. 

For the record, if I was upset with anyone, I would PM you and discuss it in private.    :bat:          :hilarious:          :hug2:

15. willow555

willow555 (Large Crab)

okay

16. imported_Sterwick

"They can become bored with their surroundings"- I don't know- do hermit crabs have the intelligence to become bored of their surroundings? I mean, they may not even have a memory- goldfish are more advanced than crabs and yet they only have a very short memory span.

Stevo.

17. emmac350

When I call my crabs bored, I mean that they stop using the climbing things I have in the tank and start trying to climb the glass. When I take them out to exercise, they don't try to climb the glass anymore when I return them to the tank.

18. LordRhal

LordRhal "Preparing For Third Molt"

If you have enough climbing space in your tank, why would you have them exercise out of it? Just wondering if I should start taking them out more or not.

19. emmac350

It's to make sure they get exercise. I mean, you can put someone in a gym but unless you have someone watch them to ensure they actually exercise, you'll have no way of telling if they did. You can put a lot of climbing stuff in the tank, but have really no way to tell if the crabs are exercising. The more I take mine out to exercise, the more I find them exercising in their tank, so it seems to me like how people who exercise will end up with more energy after working out than they would have had if they didn't work out. If I don't work out for a day or two, my energy level is way below what it is if I do work out daily.

Does that make sense?

20. LordRhal

LordRhal "Preparing For Third Molt"

That does make sense, what do you put in your tupperware as exercise and how often do you take them out? Do you take them all out at once, how long do you leave them in their gym? =)