1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crabbie changed mind about molting?

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by Donna M, Aug 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Donna M

Donna M "First Molt, A Success"

One of my crabs is medium sized, and he was way overdue for a molt. He had his "picnic basket" of food and water inside his shell. The bubble looked like it was going to burst. He finally went down, and stayed down for about 4-5 days. I could hear him scratching on the bottom of the tank. Then quiet. Well this morning, lo and behold, the substrate starts moving and up he comes! What the heck? :confused:

He has already molted once, so he was already hairy. Can a medium sized crab molt in only 4-5 days? Last time he was down for 2-3 months! Any ideas as to why he would change his mind about molting? He was on the end that didn't have the heat lamp. You think maybe it was too cold?

I'm so confused! Any input from you experienced crabbers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. HermitPaws

HermitPaws "Fourth Molt, A Success"

ive had A large top-molt (Bri) in about 5 day so id say its posible
    (sorry spelling)

3. CoolDoggy10

CoolDoggy10 (Large Crab)

I guess he either changed his mind or was just digging

4. Donna M

Wow, HermitPaws, a large molt in only 5 days?? I had no idea it could happen that fast. So each time my medium crabs go down, it won't always be for 2-3 months? That would be wonderful, because I stress out when they're down for so long.

I dug through the substrate and don't see any of the exoskeleton. So either he ate it or he never molted. His food/water bubble is still there, but looks smaller.

And thanks CoolDoggy10 for your reply. You may be right. And I may never know!

5. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

What a mystery!

6. Donna M

Well, Buddy the crab stayed topside for about 12 hours, then went back down again. I guess something must have disturbed his molt, and he's gone to go finish. I guess we'll see!

Thanks for your replies.

7. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

I don't think he'd molted the first time. If you can hear movement on the tank, there hasn't been a molt. For three or four days after they molt, they stay tight in their shell so they don't embed anything into their new soft exo. I think he decided he needed more food or water to help him get out of his tight old exo and came up for it. Hopefully this time he'll stay down long enough to get a molt in.

8. CoolDoggy10

CoolDoggy10 (Large Crab)

My 1st molt was a surface molt and was -12 hours overnight with Aqua

9. Donna M

EmmaC, I think you're right. I suspect that he didn't molt, either. CoolDoggy, I sure would love to see a surface molt. That would be cool to watch. I'm so curious what goes on when they're buried. I wish I had a little mini-cam with night vision so I could place it near Shorty, who's currently still buried right now.

Also to CoolDoggy: Check your post about the spots on the underneath of that crabs abdomen. I posted some info for you. Personally, I think it's just the crab's natural coloration, but I'm no expert by any means! LOL.

I just want Shorty to get the molt over with. I become like a parent with a child in surgery, when any of my crabs are buried! Silly me.

Thanks again.

10. OneOnion

OneOnion "Preparing For Third Molt"

I think they bury way before the actual shedding of the skin starts, and that period is the time they are scratching against the bottom of the tank. Then, the actual shedding of the skin seems to happen overnight(that's what I think I've observed, don't quote me for it lol) and after that is when they stay in there shell. Because when one of my hermit crabs molted, she was scratching against the bottom of the tank and he still molted.

Also, Sometimes hermit crabs get the molt sac even though they aren't about to molt, so that could be it.

11. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

Your hermies name is Buddy too? Wow so is mine! :)

12. emmac350

Haha, I always try to avoid naming my crabs things that other people would name theirs. The only ones that have more common names were two I adopted, so I didn't name them. They're Rocky and Spaz, but my other six are Rack, Benny, Toodles, Curly, Slightly, and Nibs. Rack and Benny were named after two of the characters from the Veggietales episode "Rack, Shack, and Benny" (there was a Shack, but he died the night we got him), and the other four are named after the Lost Boys from Peter Pan (even though I have since found out that Nibs and Toodles are girls).

13. Donna M

Well, Shorty has been up and down 3 or 4 times now. He burrows down to the tank bottom, but moves around the whole tank, I guess trying to find a good spot to molt. His pointy legs screech and scratch almost constantly. If he comes up, he stays up a day or two, then submerges again. I even put cardboard on the tank sides to make sure it's nice and dark for him, but it didn't help. I don't know what else to do. I feel bad for him because it must be an uncomfortable feeling when your exoskeleton is longing to be shed.

I wonder if I should put him in a separate small tank so he won't be disturbed by the other crabs. If anyone has any suggestions that might help Shorty, they would be most appreciated!

Thanks,

14. emmac350

It depends on how big the small tank is. If it's under 10g, he'll get stressed about the move and size change, and will put off molting even longer. I personally keep my guys in their normal tank to molt, although there is the risk that someone will disturb someone else, I purposely keep fewer crabs than my tank could hold so that I don't have to worry as much about that.

15. Donna M

My small tank is less than 10g, so thanks for the advice. I hadn't thought about him stressing from the change. He's still down right now, but I can hear him moving about on the bottom of the tank. I hope he can find a spot that he likes soon. I feel like he's stressing just not being able to get comfortable!

I truly hate molting! I don't like not being able to see them, and not being able to tell if they're okay. LOL!

Thanks again,

16. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Sometimes my crabs go down for a few days multiply times until they find just the right spot to molt.:)

17. emmac350

Yeah, my Rocky is currently making a subway system down under the sand. He went the entire width of the tank looking for a spot...hopefully he found it and doesn't disturb any of my other molters (he's eaten well, so hopefully Spaz, Benny, Rack, and Curly are okay). I'm sure they're fine, but you know how it is...

18. Donna M

That's why I like this site. I learn new things every time I'm here! With my first two molts, they went down and stayed down until their mission was complete. This "cruising around underground" is all new to me. Shorty has been down now for about 4 days, and was completely quiet for the last two. But now this evening he's "cruising" again. My other 3 crabs were making a racket earlier, banging against the glass and checking out extra shells. I guess all that activity disturbed Shorty.

It must be horrible to molt! I'm glad our human flesh stretches! LOL!

19. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever (Large Crab)

None out of my four hermies have molted yet. . . I have provided them with a variety of clean good-sized shells, a shelter, and good burrowing material (compressed coconut fiber and playsand. . .) What should I do???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.