1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crab with missing/deformed eye

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by sitali, Aug 29, 2010.

1. sitali

sitali Hi, I'm New Here!

I am new to the world of hermit crabs. My first two crabs came from my daughter in college who had them for about a week after they were given to her in a small kritter keeper with about 1/2 inch of sand in it. She gave them to me to care for properly and I got them set up in a 10 gallon tank with everything necessary (thanks to all the info on this site and others). The day after I set up their tank, one of the crabs buried and stayed down about 2 weeks. When she came up I took the opportunity to take a look at her while she was active and I was moving a couple things in the tank. I noticed first that her "feet" seemed very scratchy, which I read might mean that she molted while she was down there? The second thing I noticed was that she appeared to have two eye stalks but only one eye. I imagine if she went down that quickly after having a suitable substrate she must have been pretty desperate to molt. I took these pictures today... does it look to you like there is something wrong with her right eye? It looks a bit shiny on the end like an eye, but when you look at her straight on there is a marked difference between the two eyes. Other than the eye she looks good, I think. Will the eye regenerate with another molt in the future? Or is she likely to always have a deformed eye? Doesn't seem to slow her down, but I'm curious.
    [img=400x330]http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e283/maxwell301/IMG_5718-1.jpg[/img]

2. n00b

n00b "Preparing For First Molt"

I have a crab with this exact problem.  I adopted him recently from an ad on craigslist. 
    When I looked at him closely he seemed to have recently molted.  (sharp ends on his legs, lots of hair, etc.)  He was living in a critter keeper with gravel and woodchips for a substrate, so it's a miracle he managed to molt in there at all!  He recently lost a leg... probably the shock of moving into better conditions.  I'm hoping whenever he decides to molt again that he'll come back up with two eyes and all his legs.
    Has anyone else had a hermit crab with this eye problem?  Did a molt fix it?

3. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

I have had many eye issues and the eye can fix or stay that way you wont know until the crab is with you thru several molts- I got a one eye crab and he gets around just fine!

4. Mini.Mrs.Crabs

Mini.Mrs.Crabs "Preparing For Second Molt"

I have a crab with a deformed eye...when I bought him, he had half an eye. Now, one year later, his eye is grown back, the black part of the eye is just a bit smaller, but now you can barely notice it...So yeah, it might take a while for your crabs eye to grow back, but I'm sure he's just fine :)

5. cocothecrab

cocothecrab (Small Crab)

wow that's strange, do u know why this happens?

6. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Genetic perhaps?  :read:

7. Mini.Mrs.Crabs

Mini.Mrs.Crabs "Preparing For Second Molt"

Fights with other crabs maybe?  :idunno: