1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

crab sitting

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by papatoad, Nov 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. papatoad

papatoad Hi, I'm New Here!

I am crabsitting two hermit crabs. When they arrived I looked on the computer for help on caring for them. The aquarium had leaves and dirt and dogfood,bread and corn flakes scattered on the bottom. I put gravel in the bottom though I am going to switch it to sand soon. I fashioned a plastic lid to hold humidity and gave them fresh water in a bowl. They had no food plate or water bowl. My wife went out and picked up a under the tank heater, crab food, sea sponge and sea salt. The salt is Morton's coarse sea salt w/out Iodide is this ok to use? I gave them fresh fruits and they liked the grapes. I want to buy a humidity gage and a true lid. Kind of an expensive baby sitting job. I am suprised they were still alive after reading this forum. Thank you for any help. :)

2. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever (Large Crab)

You may want to consider purchasing EE (Eco Earth) as a substate, instead of sand, and are you providing some source of calcium, such as crushed oyster shell, cuttlebone, and/or well-cleaned egg-shells??? Also, a shelter is required, such as a cocohut. . .

Hermit crabs prefer a varied diet, so provide foods from each of the food groups: particularly meat and grains. Hermit crabs seem to like coconut, brine shrimp, and octopus/squid meat the best.

3. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

That salt isn't safe - what you need is a saltwater aquarium salt mix (most common brands are Instant Ocean and Oceanic). Also, are you offering fresh water? If you're using tap water you need to dechlorinate it before offering (even before mixing the salt into it) - the chlorine/chloramines in tap water blister crabs' gills and the heavy metals are toxic as well.

As for food, you should try to offer at a minimum every night meat/egg, fruit, vegetable, and a calcium source. The meat can be the same stuff you eat (chicken, beef, pork, etc.) cut off before seasoning, then microwaved to kill germs. Crabs seem to like it if you put a little veggie/olive oil on the meat before microwaving it (at least, mine do!), so that's an idea. Fruits are fairly self-explanatory - mine have been really loving the honeycrisp apples that I got as part of a wedding present (Harry & David box of fruit of the month thingie), and can even eat the bruised parts or parts you wouldn't be eating. Give them part of that apple/pear core, or the top of the strawberry (with fruit on it still, though). They'll eat the leaves, too - mine really seem to like them. Veggies - no onions or garlic, but other than that they're mostly safe. There's a safe food list on this site to check if things are safe or not. Calcium - eggshells (I prefer using ones from when I hard boil eggs so I know the germs are gone, or else I'll rinse the shells and microwave for a few seconds), calcium sand (do NOT use as a substrate), ground shells as Hermies4Ever suggested, etc.

I'm glad you're taking care of these little guys - sounds like they're enjoying their new home!

4. xAizaOnigirix

xAizaOnigirix (Small Crab)

oh dear... all this for babysitting? make sure to let the owner know what he is doing wrong...
    i would suggest something, but Hermies and Emma hit most of the points =]
    did you get a humidity gauge and a thermometer? you can get both for $5-$8.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.