1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crab out of shell

Discussion in 'Emergency Care - 911.' started by sandig, Jun 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sandig

sandig Hi, I'm New Here!

We have a 10 gal tank set up, 3 small hermies. Temp 80, humidity about 80-85 (might be a little higher than usual because we have been running a humidifier in my daughter's room for her cough). We had one (we lost one in a molt) and bought 2 new ones. They have been out of iso for 2 weeks. Two bury during the day and come out at night. There are tons of shells in the tank (about 6 in different sizes). The other, Peachie, has never buried. She hangs out in the leaves or moss and is not afraid of us. We do not handle our hermies. We kept commenting how friendly she was because she does not duck into her shell when we open the lid and talk to her. In the past 2 days she has been hanging around the salt water bowl, pretty sluggish. The water bowl is on the side away from the uth.

Anyway, this morning we woke up and Peachie was out of her shell. her body looks a little whitish, no smell, so we think it may be a surface molt. I put a bottle around her to keep the other crabs out and misted her. She is not moving at all so there is no hope to get her back in a shell at this point.

Any suggestions? How often should I mist her?
    Thank you
    Sandi

2. sandig

sandig Hi, I'm New Here!

Just an update. Peachie has been laying next to her shell for a day and a half now. No smell, she is still very pale, almost whitish on her body near head and back. She has not moved at all. How long does a moult usually take?

If she is sick or died (and no smell yet) what could cause a crab to just be healthy and perky at bedtime and then out of shell overnight and dead by morning?

Thank you!
    Sandi

3. WizKidsMom

WizKidsMom "Preparing For Third Molt"

Can you cover her so she is in the dark? A light weight moist washcloth or cheese cloth will work.
    Put a shell by her and leave her be - just checking on her occasionally. It sounds like a surface molt, but then I am not the expert here.

4. sandig

sandig Hi, I'm New Here!

Well, no change. I have been researching and is it unusual for a crab to come all of the way out of its shell during a molt? I am wondering if she is dead and just doesn't smell yet. She is laying on her side, all the way out of the shell, tips of front claw (not pincher) is touching the shell. No antenae movement.

Thoughts?
    Sandi

5. HermitPaws

HermitPaws "Fourth Molt, A Success"

sorry sounds like you lost her :(

6. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

Just to clear up any confusion.....a crab does not come out of their shell during a molt (underground or on the surface). Crabs crawl out of their shell when their is a serious problem. Illness or mites are two causes. They also come out when they are seriously uncomfortable for some reason...mites or too hot. A naked crab just lying in the tank and all pale is not normal. Stick a piece of paper in between the BP claws and if it doesn't respond, then your crabby is most likely gone. I'm sorry and wish I could give you more hope:( Sometimes deaths do just come on suddenly. Crabs do tend to be more active at night by nature. Usually it takes a few days for the bad smell to come after they die.

7. sandig

sandig Hi, I'm New Here!

Well, paper test shows she died. I am still blown away how fast it happened. I have had her 3 weeks, 2 of which were in iso. I bathed them when I brought them home and saw no sign of mites, nor do I see any mites in the tank now. Temp is between 73 and 80, depending on how hot the day is and if using the UTH side. Humidity is 80 as well. The only thing I can think is that she ate something bad. One of my crabs is always dragging food around and sometimes I find moldy spots. Otherwise, I just don't know. I bought her at Petco and their tank conditions were really good, except for food selection.

Thank you so much for your advice
    Sandi

8. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

I'd say that moldy food could be a possibility. I have to struggle with that concept because they eat decaying stuff in the wild......however, all the experienced crabers say that mold is toxic. It's hard with these little guys because so often we really don't have a deifnitive answer as to their deaths.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.