1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crab molted and left his shell - cannot find him.

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by ozshadow, Aug 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ozshadow

ozshadow Hi, I'm New Here!

Ok, I have not gone digging and I do not think he could get out, but I do not see him. All the possible shells are empty.

What I found originally:

The molting crab dug down about 1 inch next to the water dish for a few weeks. One morning I get up and see crab#2 holding the molting ones shell like he is about to get in it. The molting crab looks dead, completely out of his shell about an inch next to his exo. When I bend over to look at them, the molter runs buck naked across the big bowl. I set a couple empty shells next to him and left him be. When I got home in the afternoon, all I could find was one crab - I am guessing its crab#2.

I have no idea where the molting crab is, as there are 3 empty shells. I do not know if crab#2 stole the molter's shell as they were very similar in size and appearance.

I do know crab#2 is far more active and lively now than he has been in a long, long time.

Any ideas ? Is it possible to have a living naked crab thats buried ?

2. silver616

silver616 "Preparing For Second Molt"

Are you sure that he didn't switch into another shell...I've had that problem before...I thought a crab was missing b/c his shell was empty, but then realized he really had switched into a shell i had forgotten about.

3. ozshadow

ozshadow Hi, I'm New Here!

Well I was just about to wash out the extra shells hoping he would eventually come up and get in one. Just before I was about to wash the biggest, I saw the lil fellers antennae flick. He went in the biggest shell possible. From a 1/2" opening one to one about 1"

I'm gonna order some shells as the pet stores here have a horrible selection, and hope he chooses one. He chose a painted Spiderman one my wife got - hopefully he will choose an unpainted one soon. Maybe he likes red and won't let go of it.

I just added a salt water dish which I never knew they needed, some pieces of cuttlebone. This week they will probably be getting a 10 gallon tank with 4 inches of play sand. They have been in a 2 foot by 5 inch deep bowl with barely an inch of sand. We did not know any better. There's only two of them and they are both probably 1 1/4 to 1 1/2" when all spread out.

I still have no idea why the one who did not molt has been so spunky.

4. Mallie

Mallie "Preparing For First Molt"

Crabbies are really funny during/after molting - Just ask MsDiamond!

Hermies dont typically like the painted shells and they are incredibly light and fake. He will most likely change shells soon.

On a side note, its good to hear that you are changing your crabitat around, believe me, your hermies will love you for it.

It sounds like you found the "Must Haves" document that outlines all you need for your crabbies.

BTW: Welcome to HCRU! Lots of very bright people floating around here.

5. silver616

silver616 "Preparing For Second Molt"

I've been tricked by tiny crabs getting into huge shells myself....glad you found him!!!

6. alli'smommy

alli'smommy "Preparing For Third Molt"

Welcome to HCRU!!! The people here are wonderful, very "up" on crabbie stuff! In fact, they saved my Snoopy's life!!!! I was clueless, too, when I found this site. Now I can't live without it!

7. totolover111

totolover111 Hi, I'm New Here!

hes not died he is just molting and will be growing and awake in no time ! he`s ok !

8. Hildegarde

Hildegarde "Preparing For Third Molt"

As for a crab picking a large shell, we have Harry Houdini and he has lived up to his name sake. He's changed shells at least 3 times in the last few months, and the one he's in now is so big that when he scrunches down into it, it looks like an empty shell.

They just love to try and trick us, and they usually do!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.