1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crab is in water dish shell-less, Help please!

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by stevenmnance, Oct 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stevenmnance

stevenmnance Hi, I'm New Here!

So I have a 20 gallon tank with about 3-4 in of sub-strait and I thought this was alright until tonight when I got home. I have had two crabs dig under and molt successfully before but my third crab has recently shed his shell and exoskeleton right next to my water dish and is now sitting shell-less in the water dish....What should I do?

2. cloie74

cloie74 "Second Molt, A Success"

Gently scoop him out of the tank and put him in a cup with his shell, he should want to go back in fairly quickly unless something is wrong.
    You could also put him in an ISO tank with a few shells, he SHOULD go into an ISO if he had a surface molt and there are other crabs in the tank. Make sure his exo moves with him wherever he moves and offer extra calcium in his food like cuddlebone and egg shells

3. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever (Large Crab)

Yes, what Cloie74 suggested. . . That is what you should do and that is what I reccomend as well. . .

4. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

Definitely ISO him - otherwise, the others will steal his exo and can hurt him while he's soft. If you have an ISO, skip the cup step - it's fairly scary for a crab to get put into a ridiculously tiny place like a cup, so if you can just put him in the ISO tank, it would be best. Rinse out the shells you offer him so there's nothing that can hurt him, then give him peace and quiet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.