1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crab in need!!!

Discussion in 'Emergency Care - 911.' started by hawkins07, Oct 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hawkins07

hawkins07 (Micro Crab)

First before the template I would like to tell you my problem and then I will give the template to help for further understanding. My crab BIG BEN came out of his shell today...he did not pick a new one. I know that this is not a good sign. I soaked him in water, offered him other shells. Is there something I'm forgetting? I'm concerned he won't make it much longer. He isn't moving much. Please help.

How long have you had the crab(s) in question? 5 months

Do you know what species they are? he is puple pincher

Did you/Do you isolate new crabs? no just wash them

Tank Size:29 gal

Lid Type: no lid so far humidity is high

Placement of tank in your home:bedroom

Substrate Used (moist or dry & depth):4 inch sand maybe more

Type of Gauges: Strip/Analog/Digital-?idk

Did you test your humidity gauge for accuracy? yes like the box said

Placement of Gauges:above coconut huts

Temperature and Humidity levels in your tank: Degrees % 74-75...tropical

Heating Source (if UTH how much of the tank does it cover and how much substrate is over it): no cover heating pad

Lighting Source (type bulbs & wattage): room lighting

Do you have at least one area for each crab to hide?yes

Is there any metal in your tank? yes 2 metal links for them to climb on

What types of climbing things/toys do you have in your tank? 2 little metal climbers, wooden 2nd level choya wood, coco huts

What type of water do you use (dechlorinated tap/spring water)? declor tap

If you use dechlorinating drops-which kind? zoo med

Do your provide fresh and salt water? If yes, what type of salt mix do you use? yes xoo med

Do you provide dishes for water or just sponges? both for both types of water

How many extra shells do you have for each crab? idk i have alot of extra shells for any crab that gets thenm first then i replace that shell

Did you boil the shells prior to putting them in the tank? no?

Do you bathe your crabs? If yes, how often and what do you use to bathe them in? tap and yes once a week or less

Do you only handle your crabs with clean hands? yes im kind of a germaphobic

How often do you handle them? once a day

Have they been exposed to toxins such as chemical/cleaning fumes, perfume, spray deodorant, etc? not that im aware of but they came from pet stores

Do you allow your crabs to exercise outside the tank? yes

What types of foods do you feed? fruits, veggies, apple sauce, hermit crab feed

What do you use as a calcium supplement? just cuttle bone
    </span>

Wendy

~Kindness and patience reap greater rewards than rigid intolerance.~

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    kuplakrabsView Public ProfileSend a private message to kuplakrabsFind More Posts by kuplakrabsAdd kuplakrabs to Your Buddy List

2. msdiamonddawg

msdiamonddawg "Third Molt In Progress"

Hi! Just a couple of things I see on your template:

1. You should ISO new crabs.

2. Are you sure your gauges are correct. To have a 29 gallon tank with no lid and such a high humidity doesn't seem right. If I lift my lid for a couple of minutes, my humidity drops like crazy. My tank is larger than a 29g.

3. Metals are a no-no in the tank.

4. When you say you are bathing in tap water, do you mean plain old tap water or do you use dechlorinated drops? Bathing a crab once a week is alot.

Have you looked the crab over? Maybe he has some kind of abrasion on his abdomin? Do the shells have sand in them that might be irritating him? Maybe if you took them out and reboiled them? Have you tried getting him back in a shell, like putting him in a glass with one?

Is he still out?

Did Big Ben just come out of his shell or do you think there could have been a shell fight? They don't usually come out for no reason ~ which could be stress, illness, temp/humidity too high, fights ...

3. hawkins07

hawkins07 (Micro Crab)

I just got back from the pet store shortly ago and I bought new humidity and temperature gauges and a lid. There is a cloth over the lid on one side and a heating lamp on the other side. I have been misting the tank but the temp only says 85- and the humidity gauge only says moderate

4. Tox

Tox (Micro Crab)

okay so i don't know if you still have the issue but this site has some good info about naked crabs and some methods to help them into a shell etc

HERMIT-CRABS.COM

hope this helps...or if its too late now, it's interesting anyway :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.