1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crab Identification (not related to species type!)

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by deedeeiam, Jul 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deedeeiam

deedeeiam "First Molt, A Success"

For the longest time, I had crabs that were all very different in size and color. It was easy to tell them apart! The recent months have brought me a few similar sized crabs. Three of my crabs are the same size and have the same coloring.

I was away for a few days and *all* my crabs went on a shell changing spree. Now I'm not sure who's who - mostly the "triplets." Am I a horrid mommy? And are there any hints/tips for me so I don't do this again?

:confused:

2. WizKidsMom

WizKidsMom "Preparing For Third Molt"

Nope. I can tell the identity of some of mine by their attitude. My big guys did a shell change/exchange and I have no clue as to who they are except for Hagrid who is the largest of them all.

3. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

YES pictures pictures- take a clear shot of each crabs BP/Shield/ etc etc there is always something that is different. I have gotten lazy and lost track of some but when I do a deep clean I hope to get back to who is who. When I had 60 or so crabs I knew who everyone was.
    When you take your pictures and then take new ones you can put them on your screen side by side and analyze and see who is who :)

4. WizKidsMom

WizKidsMom "Preparing For Third Molt"

That's if they are cooperative.

5. deedeeiam

deedeeiam "First Molt, A Success"

That's a good idea!

Except they didn't like the camera or wouldn't stop moving. I'll keep at it.

6. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

Good idea, HERMEZ! :D
    I don't have to worry about this yet, because I only have three crabs and they look really different.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.