1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crab Heaven revisited

Discussion in 'HCRU Crabitat's - Biography's Of Our Crabitats' started by Kali_Ma, Dec 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kali_Ma

Kali_Ma (Small Crab)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is my third crabitat since I started in Oct. 04 -- I pestered my husband to death until he gave me the money to go get my Christmas present early.

I've had it two weeks. I plan to make some heavy upgrades, but I just wanted to set it up! It's a bear to clean, but it's worth it to me to watch the activity.

A list of the tank equipment and furniture is below, followed by my list of intended future upgrades.

120 gallon reptikeeper tank, raised on 3 20 gallon iron aquarium stands. Two ten gallon ISOs to be installed on the bottom racks, once the crabs molting in them have finished. It has two screen tops, 18" wide by 24" deep, with a central glass brace. At the moment the only tops I have for it are 12" x 24" framing glass that I used for a lid on my old 40 gallon crabitat, and black plastic garbage bags to retain humidity. One of the things on the to do list is to upgrade the lids.

Mylar survival blanket cut to fit back wall as heat reflector and decoration.

2 11 x 17" UTHs on ESU thermostats, set to 85 degrees.

ESU 20" combination light fixture with:
    15 watt fluorescent, UVA/UVB day bulb
    100 watt incandescent day heat bulb
    75 watt incandescent moonglow heat bulb
    Fluker's 20" combination light fixture with:
    75 watt incandescent moonglow heat bulb
    40 watt incandescent moonglow heat bulb
    I leave the 75 watt moonglow in the Fluker's fixture on 24/7 and turn the others on if necessary to boost the heat during the day. All the moonglow bulbs are on, and the day bulbs off at night. The incandescent sockets hold bulbs up to 150 watts each, the fluorescent only goes to 15 watts. I swap bulbs out as the temperature rises and falls, as my house is poorly insulated and there is no central heating. My day temperature ranges from 74 to 78 degrees, and the night temperature ranges from 70 to 74 degrees.

2 TropicAire automatic terrarium misters on a General Hydroponics 4 outlet diaphragm air pump, 340 GPH/3 PSI -- it's enough to run every air device in the crabitat, and more silent than regular aquarium pumps. The misters keep my humidity between 75 and 80%.

Small dog dish as freshwater pool with large sea sponge.

Custom filtered acrylic salt water basin, 1/4" acrylic, interior dimensions 6 x 6 x 4 1/2 inches deep, with coral and gravel for access.

Beach sand substrate -- will be replaced with PlayBox Sand from Home Depot on next deep clean.

Multiple climbing structures:
    Cork bark sheets and 12" hollow tube
    Grapevine/Jungle vine
    Cholla branches and stumps
    Suction cup plastic plants
    black sea fan
    green mica and zebra aquarium rock
    coral

@ 3 dozen extra shells, tiny to hefty; mainly turbo, tonna, thai, nautica, murex, babylonia, nerite, etc.

Multiple coconut huts and terracotta flower pots.

A huge antique turbo pethiolatus that makes even the huge crabs look tiny and that they love to hide in and climb on.

I change the dry food dish every other day. It consists of:

T-Rex Crab Island Food
    Gardner's Tree Crab Food
    Calci Sand
    Julian Sprung's Red Sea Veggies
    Organic sesame seed with sea salt
    Hikari Bio-Pure tubifex worms, Daphnia, Brine Shrimp, Ocean Plankton
    Homemade organic human grade 4-way algae powder consisting of equal parts brown kelp, spirulina, Klamath blue-green algae and Irish moss.
    Bladderwrack
    Crushed cuttlebone/coral powder
    Puffed organic millet

Wet food changed daily:
    All organic human grade foods only, 1 meat or egg (scrambled eggs with many healthy additives or shrimp, tuna, salmon, chicken, sardines, ostrich, occasionally beef), and 3 to 7 selections per night of dried (or reconstituted dried) or fresh flowers, fruit and vegetables, grains, nuts, pure local honey, mushrooms, seaweed (5 or 6 varieties in rotation).

Planned upgrades:

Large cargo net to hang from self-adhesive plastic hooks

Deeper and new substrate

Larger filtered salt water basin and marine hermits to keep it clean

Larger filtered fresh water basin

Find a way to heat the misters' water

Custom made glass covers to replace screens and garbage bags

On order from Black Jungle Terrarium Supply:
    3 foot cypress driftwood log (wet habitat wood, to replace easy molding grapevine)
    2 foot cholla root, and several small cholla branches
    6 inch cork bark tube
    24" x 15" tall "fossil" background rock climbing wall

My old crabitat is 2 foot by 2 foot by 1 foot deep, 40 gallons. I eventually want to section it off into quarters by fixing glass walls in it and use it as a four chambered ISO. Too many other projects first.

Kerie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.