1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

crab has lost claw... help

Discussion in 'Emergency Care - 911.' started by QC Lucy, May 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QC Lucy

QC Lucy Hi, I'm New Here!

Hi ~ I had two crabs for over a year... they did great and molted all the time and climbed everywhere and very active... except when they would disappear for weeks at a time... but they always came back or at least ate at night...

We went on vacation for two weeks... the day we left I found one dead... of all times for something to happen! I wanted to "make sure" so I left her in a small tank and took the other to my Mom's to crab sit for me....

We get home and sure enough the one has not moved and dead..... My other when I put her back in the tank went crazy digging EVERYWHERE as in looking for something... she always hid and such... but what she was doing was something I had not seen before... it was like she was "looking" for her friend... she dug up a storm.... this went on for about 3-4 weeks ... she did not eat just dug.... then she hid and didn't come out for another 2 weeks... then she moved under the water dish.... I hadn't saw her in a week so I pick up the dish looking for her and find she claw and leg are OFF sitting beside her!

She has never lost legs or claws before, the living conditions are the same for the past 1.5 years....

Is she sad she can't find her friend?

Should I remove the leg and claw? Should I pick her up?

I didn't do anything yet.... help!

I've had her 1.5 years and she is a big crab so I'm not sure how old she is.

Thanks

2. Livada

Livada (Micro Crab)

I'm fairly new to having hermit crabs, but I'll try to help. Do you know what the temp. and humidity is in your tank? Sometimes if the conditions aren't right crabs can drop legs out of stress. I wouldn't touch your crab, as it might cause more stress. I've never had experience with anything like this, but based on what I've read I would just suggest that you make sure your tank conditions are optimal and leave your crab be. I'm sure you'll find other topics like this on the forum and you might find more help by reading those. Good luck!

3. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Check the conditions of the tank. She is probably molting. Also if she is alone, I would recommend you find her a friend. I don't think she was looking for a friend but hermit crabs are very social. The lost claw is probably because something s going wrong in the tank. Check you temp, humidity, do you have salt water? Does she have something to hide in? Fill out the 911 care form. You might want to give her a bath. Though you should not do this often at all, maybe once a year, you should give her a bath to make sure it's not mites, infesting the tank. Wait for her to come up before you touch her. She will regrow those limbs at this molt or her next. Also make sure you ISO her friend for a month if you get her a new one. You don't want your crab to be passed diseases.
    Good Luck.

4. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

Welcome! My hermit crab Ocean lost a claw when she surface molted once so your hermie might be doing the same thing. You shouldn't bother her. Maybe put a coconut over her. When they molt it's important for it to be dark. Check your conditions. Is it 72-80 degrees and 70-80% humidity? I'm very sorry for the other one. :( You should get a friend for your other hermie, like cococrisp said. It's best to have at least 2 or 3 crabs. Good luck!

5. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I think she is under the water dish from what I read, so she should be fine.

6. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

Oh, that's good then! Nevermind about the cocohut. How is she doing?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.