1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crab Died, Why?

Discussion in 'Emergency Care - 911.' started by littlewolfpaw, Mar 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. littlewolfpaw

littlewolfpaw "Never Molted"

Sadly today, I found one of my crabs dead today... :crybaby2: He had been buried for the past month and with no smell so I thought he was molting. I just had a bad feeling tonight about it so I dug him out to find him dead. His front claws completely fell off and inside the shell was a a dead crab...At first I thought maybe thats what they looked like while they were molting but uh, Im pretty sure hes dead...wishful thinking I guess. what could have caused him to dig down and die? I couldnt even shake him out of the shell. A few legs fell out so I just disposed of the shell with the crab. My other two crabs are just fine. one just dug down a few days ago but hes still fine. Two days ago the front door got blown open and it got very cold, I think the deceased crab was dead long before that though...sigh. i hadnt had him for long either before this, maybe i bought a sick crab?

2. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

I'm sorry to hear about your loss! Unfortunately you are playing a guessing game when it comes to buying crabs. They are plucked right out of the wild. Put on big trucks to go to different pet stores. And most of them pet shops do not take care of them. They get very stressed and unhappy and sometimes do not recover. Most of the time they are not sick crabs to begin.
    :'( :notfair: :sad10:

3. littlewolfpaw

I must have just picked a bad one I guess. The pet store around here keeps them on gravel so they can dig down or probably even get decent humidity. Im glad it wasnt one of my older crabs, then I would be really worried they were sick or something I did. Still sad though...

4. Bugaboo

Bugaboo (Small Crab)

I had 2 of my hermies die a couple months ago. I don't know why but I'm geussing the stress got the best of them and they just couldn't handle it. They passed after I had them for less than a month=( but yes unfortunately it is always taking chances because you never know=/

5. littlewolfpaw

well a week or two after he dug down his cave collapsed around him if you get what I mean. I remember thinking, "I wonder if he can still breath under all that sand but I figured if that was the case he would dig himself out." thats when he must have died.

6. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

Sand is very heavy not like ee. If the air pocket colapses with ee it has tiny air pockets to help it breath while it digs itself out. Sand puts to much weight on the crab for it to dig out in the weakened state of premolt or molt process and there in no air for it to breath.

7. LordRhal

LordRhal "Preparing For Third Molt"

sorry to hear you crab died! Always sucks to lose one, you think it's your fault, but sometimes it just happens!

8. littlewolfpaw

Thanks for the support everyone, good news is that the other two are fine and healthy so it must have been just that one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.