1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Couple Questions:

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by deege39, Sep 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deege39

deege39 (Micro Crab)

First of all, I'd like to say, "Hello" to everyone! It's been awhile for sure!

I hope everyone and their crabbies are doing great. :)

I do have a few more questions about molting...

1) How often can Hermit-Crabs molt?

I ask this because not but a month and a half ago I had two guys complete their first successful molt. (With me as their care-giver.) ;) lol. The one guy did fantastic, and the other guy lost two legs. :( Well, those same two guys have been back under the sand for almost another month now.

Can they molt that often? I'm not really worried about them, but I just miss seeing them crawl around.

2) I have five crabs now, the newest addition was Grumpy, well- He along with Sneezy, Dopey and Sleepy are all under the sand... The only one that's not under the sand is Bashful. And I'm curious as to why he has yet to even dig under the sand once... He's the biggest, and the prettiest. lol!

I have plenty of sand in there for him, I always have... So my question is, do hermit-crabs stop molting after they're a certain size? If not, how long can they go without molting?

I appreciate everyone taking the time to read this... :) I do have new pictures, I just have to find batteries and find the time to load them on this slow computer! lol!

2. CoolDoggy10

CoolDoggy10 (Large Crab)

1) The smaller the hermit crab, the more times it molts.
    2) Since Bashful the biggest hermit crab they only molt atleast one or twice a year

3. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

You're so right, CoolDoggy. The closest together I've heard of molts occurring is 3 weeks in between. That was CrabbyJo at the HCP site - she had an E come up with no claws, so she offered lots of pureed foods (shrimp especially, but he apparently really liked 'strawberry smoothies') and he went back down three weeks later and came up with new claws! Very exciting, because he only had 7 weeks from the finish of his unsuccessful molt until he resurfaced after the successful one.

My tiny crabs come up for about a month between molts (except for Rack, my super-shy crab who I'm afraid may be sick - he's barely grown in the last almost-year that I've had him, has always been pale, and surfaces rarely, but then again, he's doing what he thinks is best, I always tell myself) before heading back down. I'm on my first time through with bigger crabs - I just had my biggest one come up from a molt, so I'll be keeping track of how long it takes for him to go down again.

I love that you named your crabs after (5 of the) 7 dwarves! I got 4 Es at once (I found them while waiting for my husband's flight to arrive and bought them, haha) and named them after the Lost Boys from Peter Pan (Toodles, Curly, Slightly, Nibs) - I chose each one's name based off of the costume the character wore and the shell the crabs were in at the time. My original 3 crabs were Rack, Shack, and Benny after the Veggietales characters, and when Shack died of PPS the first night, I got another one and named him Z (my favorite basketball player growing up, Zydrunas Ilgauskas) since Shack is also a basketball player (Shaq).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.