1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Couple of questions from a noob :)

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by Kupcake, Feb 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kupcake

Kupcake Hi, I'm New Here!

Ok here are some questions for you experts! I have done research and am not trying to annoy or ask the same old questions, but forgive me if you have answered them before. I really did search and make sure i wasnt asking for repeat answers :)

1. Plastic Tubs- i have found one post on this on this forum and nothing else on the net. My plan was to get a large clear plastic steralite tub and lid and drill holes for ventalation. I know that if scratches happen they can breed bacteria, but i figure that since they are so cheap it wouldnt be a hassle if i decided to chuck one and get another, or an aquarium if it didnt work.

2. Heating Pads- I know alot of people use UTH heaters and lights (wich im still researching) but does anyone just use heating pads under the tank? It seems that this would work in heating the whole habitat with out drying it out, but its late and there might be some huge flaw that im missing.

3. Lighting- I know crabbies need 12/12 day/night light. Do they need full spectrum UV bulbs? or can it just be regular bulbs? or can it be no bulbs and just use the light from the window (not in direct sunlight) or room, we shut off our lights at dusk to maintain a healthy light/dark schedual with the sun for our bird.

4. Bonding- (for lack of a better word), how do people spend time with their crabbys? I am planning a more hands-off situation where im the watcher and feede, i have enough pets to pet and hold and cuddle :) But i wanted to know how others interact with their hermies and how their crabs respond.

5. Shells- My easiest question, for each individual...where do you buy your shells and how much is 'too much' to pay for one?

Thank you all for your time, and im sure my future crabbies will thank you also. And again im sorry if i asked any 'run of the mill' questions, i moderate other forums and try not to ask 'pesky' questions. My research is for me to do and i dont want to make you do it for me :)

2. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

1. Plastic Tubs- i have found one post on this on this forum and nothing else on the net. My plan was to get a large clear plastic steralite tub and lid and drill holes for ventalation. I know that if scratches happen they can breed bacteria, but i figure that since they are so cheap it wouldnt be a hassle if i decided to chuck one and get another, or an aquarium if it didnt work. WHY? its just not a good place to keep humidity and temps in check and there is a whole thread arguing about this somewhere- if you found that one then you would have every view on it- I will look for you but its just not worth it in the end- tanks are not that expensive

2. Heating Pads- I know alot of people use UTH heaters and lights (wich im still researching) but does anyone just use heating pads under the tank? It seems that this would work in heating the whole habitat with out drying it out, but its late and there might be some huge flaw that im missing. I have used them under the tank- it does dry out and some people experience tank cracks if the substrate is too deep over it

3. Lighting- I know crabbies need 12/12 day/night light. Do they need full spectrum UV bulbs? or can it just be regular bulbs? or can it be no bulbs and just use the light from the window (not in direct sunlight) or room, we shut off our lights at dusk to maintain a healthy light/dark schedual with the sun for our bird. Lights help the crabs metabolize their food etc and using bulbs that mimick the sun are really the right way to go. the rest is just "light"

4. Bonding- (for lack of a better word), how do people spend time with their crabbys? I am planning a more hands-off situation where im the watcher and feede, i have enough pets to pet and hold and cuddle :) But i wanted to know how others interact with their hermies and how their crabs respond. I use hands off so no bonding here but they do get to know you (most anyway)

5. Shells- My easiest question, for each individual...where do you buy your shells and how much is 'too much' to pay for one? You did not do homework there are mant posts on shells :D Els Shells//Naples//Crabbage patch//ebay

Its my nature to bust people.........;)

3. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

4. Kupcake

Kupcake Hi, I'm New Here!

I dont mind the busting :)

I did find those sites to buy shells, i wanted to know where everyone got theirs and get personal opinions on this subject, since shells IMO are very important.

Thanks for your time replying though :)

5. chermo

chermo "Second Molt In Progress"

I buy mine from the crabbage patch and just love them over there. I had a new adoptee that I was not expecting to be so big and I wrote a little side note asking for the bigger of the 2 sizes in the same shell and she send me a total different shell than I ordered which was great because it was the more expensive one. I have ordered from there 3 times so far and keep going back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.