1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Could all of my crabs be molting at the same time??

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by ma8201, Nov 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ma8201

ma8201 "Never Molted"

Is it possible for all 4 of my crabs to be molting at the same time? :confused:

1 of my crabs burried himself about 2 weeks ago and I havn't seen him since. Then little by little the other 3 started to dig down. I would see one walking around for a little bit but then he would be gone about an hour later. I have no idea where 3 of them are but I do see one deep hole by my large rock. I can't see in the hole because of the angle it is on but there is a large pile of sand around it. I want to go looking for them to make sure they are ok but I know I'm not supposed to. Now I understand why everyone gets so nervous when they have a molting crab (if that's what they are doing). You just don't know what they are doing under there, if they are ok or not.

2. CrabbyAbby

CrabbyAbby (Micro Crab)

Hi Jennifer,
    I agree not to go looking for them. Whether they are destressing, molting or whatever the case they're down there by choice.

There are several things can lead to mass burial.

- A change in the weather such as occurs in late fall and late spring. Hermits are less active in the winter months.
    - The climate is off: Improper temp, humidity too low, bulb watt too strong and no hideys or decor to hide under or behind to deflect it.
    - You just did a deep clean and/or substrate change. Mine love when the substrate is all moist and fluffy.
    - Mass molt.
    - Hermits are fairly new. Even if they were active when you first got them, sometimes they're propelled by frantic energy and give the impression of being curious and checking things out when actually their bodies are stressed from the demands of adjusting to a new tank. They need time to recharge. If they're fairly new it's important to help get them off the weary road they've been on and onto a healthier one by offering a good diet, and a dim, quiet tank for them to rest and acclimate. Raw or organic honey in a bottle cap, krill, shrimp, silversides, unsalted PB or crushed nuts or even eggs are all great foods to offer weary new friends.

3. momofboyz

momofboyz (Micro Crab)

Jennifer,

I've had this same thing happen to me. When I first got my crabs, they all buried but one. I was so discouraged because I wanted them to be up and doing things. However, I later realized that the conditions of my tank were better than those at the store, and they needed to molt. I guess they must have been putting it off.

I agree with Abby though too. If the temperature drops in my tank, they will all go down and not come back until the temperature goes up. I hope that you see your little guys before too long; don't get discouraged though. They'll be back.

4. ma8201

ma8201 "Never Molted"

I was typing a responce but then I rememberd this list of questions that might help. Please let me know if I am doing anything wrong with my crabs. I did just move them from a 20 gal to a 75 gal. It could be that they are destressing.

How long have you had the crab(s) in question?
    I have had my crabs since September 7.

Do you know what species they are?
    Not 100% sure but I think all 4 are PP's

Did you/Do you isolate new crabs?
    I didn't' need to since they were my first crabs.

Tank Size:
    They were in a 20 gal untill November 1, now they are in a 75 gal.

Lid Type:
    Plexigass lid with vent holes.

Placement of tank in your home:
    Currently sitting on my diningroom floor in a corner waiting for a stand.

Substrate Used (moist or dry & depth):
    I am using playsand but a small corner of the tank is EE. It is moist and ranges from 3" - 5".

Type of Gauges: Strip/Analog/Digital
    We have a ditigal thermometer and humidity gauge

Did you test your humidity gauge for accuracy?
    Yes we did.

Placement of Gauges:
    Sits about 1" above the substrate

Temperature and Humidity levels in your tank: Degrees %
    Temp ranges are 65 - 75 degrees and the humidity ranges are 80% - 85%
    But I have seen it at 90%. When that happens I open the lid for a little bit to lower it.

Heating Source (if UTH how much of the tank does it cover and how much substrate is over it):
    I am currently using a repta sun 40 watt UV Blacklight bulb. It is connected to the lid in the center of the tank.

Lighting Source (type bulbs & wattage):
    I am using the same repta sun 40 watt UV Blacklight bulb for lighting as well.

Do you have at least one area for each crab to hide?
    No I do not. I do have one large plastic rock cave that all 4 can hide under.

Is there any metal in your tank?
    No.

What types of climbing things/toys do you have in your tank?
    I do have a few rocks in there as well as the plastic rock cave. Not much else.

What type of water do you use (dechlorinated tap/spring water)?
    I have well water so thats what I give them.

If you use dechlorinating drops-which kind?
    Since I have well water I didn't think I needed to declorinate.

Do your provide fresh and salt water? If yes, what type of salt mix do you use?
    Yes I have a salt water pool for them. I use Instant Ocean.

Do you provide dishes for water or just sponges?
    I provide dishes, enough for them to submerge with a small peice of sponge in each dish.

How many extra shells do you have for each crab?
    I currently have 2 for my big crab, and about 6 each for the other 3.

Did you boil the shells prior to putting them in the tank?
    Yes I did then I gave them a dip in some salt water and let them dry before putting them in the tank.

Do you bathe your crabs? If yes, how often and what do you use to bathe them in?
    No I do not bathe them.

Do you only handle your crabs with clean hands?
    Yes I do.

How often do you handle them?
    Not very ofter at all. I only handle them when I really have to.

Have they been exposed to toxins such as chemical/cleaning fumes, perfume, spray deodorant, etc?
    No.

Do you allow your crabs to exercise outside the tank?
    No I figured with a 75 gal tank that would be plenty of room for them. Are you able to let them walk around outside of the tank?

What types of foods do you feed?
    I have been trying to feed them fresh foods such as eggs and shells, spinach, carrots, pineapple, but for some reason they always go for the pellets. They crowd around the bowl when I put the zoomed brand food in there. I also have tried feeding them blood worms and brineshrimp but they don't seem to be eating it.

What do you use as a calcium supplement?
    I sometimes give them some of my birds crushed oystershells and I will also give them crushed eggshells. I know shrimp is another one I can give them. Are there any other good sources of calcium I can give them.

5. Hermie's rule

Hermie's rule "Second Molt In Progress"

You need to quite feeding them commercial food. That is harmful to them. They'll get used to the fresh food in time.

Other than that, the hermies sound healthy. I think your doing a great job. It's natural for them to dig down to destress and molt. And you occasionally have what's known as a mass molt where all the crabs dig down and molt at once. Wish you luck with your crabbie brood! Welcome to HCRU.

6. ma8201

ma8201 "Never Molted"

One out of 4 came up and I could tell just by looking at him that he had molted. I'm so excited. This is my first successful molt. Spongebob was the first out of them to dig down. I guess over the next week or two I'm going to start seeing the others pop back up. I'm going to get him some shrimp today as a special treat.

7. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Congrats!! It is just so exciting to see them come back up from a molt. I remember when I had my first molt---I looked in the tank and thought to myself, where in the world did that new crab come from?! (duh...brain cramp) I guess when he came up he changed shells during the night and I didn't recognize him. Several molts later and I still get excited to see them back. :D

8. nancy

nancy "Preparing For Second Molt"

Please discontinue the pellets. They contain pheremones that draw the crabs. Make sure you give them bark and leaves on occasion for cellulose and feed them protein and calcium every day. It sounds like you're doing a wonderful job and congratulations on your successful molt. Try foods like krill and silversides. Buy a few unseasoned shrimps and cut them up. Include the tail and the chitin when you feed them. I think they'll start becoming interested in these foods. Good luck and keep us posted about your crabbies.

9. ma8201

ma8201 "Never Molted"

Thank you. Still no sign of the other 3. I guess they are taking their time. They are a bit bigger then Spongebob so maybe they need some more time. I ended up going out in the yard and grabbing some maple leaves. I put a little bit in the tank after drying them out in the oven. I always have a source of calcium in the tank. Right now in a small shell I have some crushed oyster shells and I put some crushed egg shells in their food. I am done with the pellets. I am no longer going to feed them that stuff.

I just put my 4 new crabs in the main tank from the iso tank a few days ago. I went to bed and when I woke up 3 out of 4 were missing and have been ever since. All my crabs are digging down on me. I feel like I'm just not ment to watch them.:rolleyes: I only get to see 2 out of 8.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.